The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniGraffle Pro top annoying things & wish list: Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I use OminGrafflle Pro on a daily basis for 8 hours a day, full-time. I have been using it now for two months on a huge project for a big brand name retailer/ e-tailer for wire-framing and mock-ups. I love it! Great piece of software! But...

This is my top "sh|t-list" / wish list:

• Draw a shape in the middle of a page and the page jumps to the top when releasing the tool.

• Cannot drag an object from a layer to another layer in the “canvases and layers” sidebar. Cut and paste works though…

• I export an odd sized page to PDF (988px-by-2,000px - which we often do when wire-framing a website for instance bc it wil have different width and heights) it will have the dimensions of a printer page and the artwork reduced to that page size - supremely annoying - now i have to cut and crop it to the PDF page size I want so I can share it with others and it will look as intended - like “a web page”

• Text designated as “vertically centered” doesn’t center, it seems totally random and inconsistent in placement, I have to manually put in a text offset value for “Y” to properly center the text in an object.

• I’m unable to non-anti-alias text (!) this is really frustrating bc often in wire-framing web-design I use “pixel fonts” which are designed NOT to be anti-aliased!

• Gradient fills color changes - if I enter RGB values in the Color panel - let’s say the top color - I click on the color grad’s bottom and then click back up to the top color that I just changed manually or by sliders it will snap to some other RGB color value, close to but not what I entered previously (WTF?!?)

• Copy a piece of text that sits on a colored background (let’s say non -white) can’t paste it onto a different colored background bc the colored background will paste with it and there is not way to remove it - no, the “no fill” option doesn’t do it.

• In the inspector panel the text panel and image panel are locked (WHY?) I’m using a giant Apple Cinema Display with 1920x1200 resolution and the bottom on that panel still juts out the bottom of my screen as I’m working with the various settings in the panel. I have to close up some panels to see stuff at the bottom, click click click = huge time waster!

Wish List:

• Allow storage of grad styles in some panel of “saved styles” so I can apply them quickly. No, I’m not talking about using the “copy style” and “apply style” tool.

• Allow setting of guides in a numeric entry panel (ala Photoshop for example = I want a vertical guide at 680) dragging guides manually into a precise position is a huge pain in the backside, there is no snapping provided or any precise way of setting it, drag left, drag right, oops, you missed it, try again, repeat… huge timewaster(!)

Last edited by masteridiotsavant; 2010-08-19 at 11:11 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by masteridiotsavant View Post
• In the inspector panel the text panel and image panel are locked (WHY?) I’m using a giant Apple Cinema Display with 1920x1200 resolution and the bottom on that panel still juts out the bottom of my screen as I’m working with the various settings in the panel. I have to close up some panels to see stuff at the bottom, click click click = huge time waster!
If you double click the text and image panel selectors, they should unlock.

"I export an odd sized page to PDF (988px-by-2,000px - which we often do when wire-framing a website for instance bc it wil have different width and heights) it will have the dimensions of a printer page and the artwork reduced to that page size - supremely annoying - now i have to cut and crop it to the PDF page size I want so I can share it with others and it will look as intended - like “a web page”"

Make sure you are not using the "use printer margins" in the document inspector and adjust the canvas size in the canvas inspector to not be "multiple of printer sheets" or "print canvas on one sheet".

I've said this wish before, but I'll keep saying it again...

-- Snap custom magnets to grid when positioning. When creating production quality graphics it's important for vertical lines to be VERTICAL, not "nearly" vertical as otherwise ugly pixel steps kick as the line strays from vertical (the same applies to horizontal of course). One way to do this is to keep objects aligned to the grid and hence (if you are careful about object sizes) have their magnets also aligned to the grid. EXCEPT if you need to add custom magnets, there is no way to align them to the grid, they just "wander about" under the mouse cursor with a mind of their own.

Consider my current project .. a complex network diagram. I have a long horizontal trunk in the middle (a simple filled box), and a bunch of vertical connections to that trunk made at various points along it. So I need a bunch of magnets along the length of that trunk box to anchor the connections, but they need to be on the snap and OG wont let me do that.

IMHO this is the most egregious hole in OG when it comes to creating professional diagrams. I have spent LITERALLY HOURS poking magnets around at enormous zoom to get things right, or (worse) creating dummy invisible boxes to "carry" a magnet so I can snap the box to the grid.