The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Am I using contexts wrong? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So, contexts aren't working the way I expected them to.

I've been thinking of subcontexts as more specific versions of more general contexts.

Like, I have one context for "on my mac". I have another for "on my mac, online". I have another for "on my mac, online, at a desk". I have another for "on my mac, online, at a desk, in my office". And another for "on my mac, online, at a desk, in my office, with my co-worker".

There are some tasks, like doing light editing, that only require me to have my laptop with me. I set those in the "on my mac" context. There are other tasks, like doing some web reading, that require a network but no specific location -- I can do those from my couch, from a coffee shop, et cetera. Those go in the "on my mac, online" context. There are other tasks such as programming where I need to be on my mac, on a network, and with room to use a mouse and spread out documentation, and I put those in the "online, at a desk" context. Other tasks require me to be on a mac at a desk with resources that are available at my office, such as manuals and the fax machine, and those go into the "at a desk, in my office" context. And some of those tasks require me to work alongside my officemate, and those go into the "in my office, with my co-worker" context.

What I expected was to be able to say "here's the context I'm in now; what tasks can I do?". But that doesn't work. When I specify my context as "on my mac, online, at a desk, in my office", I expected to see the stuff from "on a mac" (since I'm in fact at a mac and can do those), from "online" (since I'm in fact online and can do those), from "at a desk" (since I'm in fact at a desk and can do those), and from "in my office" (since I'm in fact in my office and can do those), but I expected to not see the stuff from "with my co-worker" (since he's at another site today, so I cannot do those).

Like, let's say I specify my context as "mac, online, desk, office". If I had a task "review the last architecture document", and a task "see if any wiki documents need an update", and a task "write six new servlets", and a task "implement a new HR process in SQL", I'd expect to see those, since they're all things I could do at my desk at work. But if I had the task "write a servlet that uses this feature that only my co-worker knows about", I wouldn't expect to see that, because I can't do it without my co-worker.

I guess I could reverse the contexts, putting the most specific at the top level and the least specific at the bottom level, but that seems completely wrong. Am I just completely misusing contexts? Any advice?

If you reversed the contexts, I think you'd get the behavior you expect.

Another way to do it would be to just make them totally separate contexts. So if you're at your mac and online, select both contexts in the sidebar and you'll see everything you can do right now. If the only time you're ever online is when you're also at your mac, then you don't specifically have to mention that in the name or hierarchy of the "online" context.

You might also look around this forum for the threads where people are talking about how much they need multiple contexts and other people explain how they don't.