The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Why no location for Actions? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am new to GTD, so I may be committing a heresy, but I'd like to be able to add a location directly to an Action, rather than having to use a Context. For instance, I want to get my haircut at the nearest location, but I don't need a special Context just to tell OF that it should search for haircut places nearby. This would just add an unnecessary level of organization. I want to put it in my Errands context so I know to do it when I am out and about and in my Miscellaneous Project. Is this something that is possible that I just missed?

kman

You can add a google maps URL to the notes of an action, and then when you tap it, the map application will launch and go right there.

Unfortunately, typing those on a phone is pretty tedious...this trick works better if you have OmniFocus for the Mac and enter the URLs there.

(Dear Apple, Please add copy/paste so our users can add a google maps url to OmniFocus. Love, Omni)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
(Dear Apple, Please add copy/paste so our users can add a google maps url to OmniFocus. Love, Omni)
Dear Omni, Please add the location field and four associated buttons to Actions. Love, kman42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
Dear Omni, Please add the location field and four associated buttons to Actions. Love, kman42
I second this - it is necessary to have locations associated with specific actions sometimes, and not necessarily contexts. Please let us know why this is not an option, or not "proper" GTD...

Thanks!

I would love to add locations to actions.

I'm in sales and go to 100 different stores and have 100 different types of things to follow up on with these locations.

If I was at a store I could add an action "put up posters" and the next week look at the omni map and see all the tasks that are around me and efficiently drive to each location.

This would save a lot of time as location for Contexts don't seem to help me.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfneuralnet View Post
I second this - it is necessary to have locations associated with specific actions sometimes, and not necessarily contexts. Please let us know why this is not an option, or not "proper" GTD...

Thanks!
It isn't proper GTD because a location is a fixed place and can never be an action. You can act AT a location. You can't act A location. Therefore a location is always going to be a Context - you can perform your action only when you are in that context.

Of course, OmniFocus should never be so rigid that it constrains you to strict GTD. If you want a location to be added to an action, I don't see why it shouldn't be permitted other than if there are problems with the UI and coding to achieve it in a way that is not confusing.

Btw, the current solution to this is to create a nested Location context. You can nest contexts within each other so e.g. using the example above, you can have a parent "Store" context with each of those stores as a child to that context (e.g. Store : London, Store : Manchester, etc.). Then assign the appropriate location to the corresponding child.