The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

$40? Seriously? [OmniFocus for iPad Pricing Feedback] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcher View Post
Nuance matters, I think. The only other thread on a similar topic (at least that I could find) was related to the price of OmniFocus for the iPad.

My frustration is related to the cost associated with all three products.

Individually, I don't feel like any one of the products is priced inappropriately.
Then don't purchase all three products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crut View Post
Then don't purchase all three products.
Well. I didn't. :-)

Quote:
Well. I didn't. :-)
I do understand the frustration.

I deliberated for a week over purchasing the iPad version.

In the end I got it and it is my most used app because I have my iPad on my desk with OF in Forecast mode. It makes it easier to focus on what I should be doing by having the application there. The review projects is very good and much more obvious what to do with the iPad version.

I use the iPhone version to quickly jot down ideas on the go and the mac version to inject emails etc that require actions.

I would say that I am more productive as a result of the iPad version, but I guess that is dependant how its unique features help you.

Quote:
OmniGroup then should determine the application suite cost based on the presumption that people will buy all 3 applications.
I'm curious, what makes you think that they haven't?

I'm only guessing, but I'd expect that >3/4 of iPhone sales were to people owning it on the Mac. I'd expect the iPad numbers to be lower, but still well over half to existing owners.

I think what I've learnt so far, from other Member's opinions, is that what started out as a price issue, then evolved into value, has become for me, one of expectation.

Apple's App Store has changed my perception of software being a considered investment to it becoming a disposable commodity. I buy, on average, 2-3 Apps a day, of which 99.9% get junked. I view this buying pattern in the same way as my daily Starbucks and with the same commitment.

I know that fundi-GTD'ers will want me burnt at the stake for heresy, but in recent weeks I have been divorcing projects from OmniFocus into other Apps. My business GTD has gone to FileMaker Go, shopping and errands are now in HoneyDo, stuff to think about is in iThoughts, travel has gone to Travel Tracker and someday/maybe has moved over to iMandalArt. At first I thought I'd hate this, but I've realised I'm a natural for micro-GTD, where Apps that perform specific GTD tasks outstandingly well take precedent over trying to force them into one unified system. I've also discovered doing this means that I'm getting actions done much quicker, far more efficiently and, most importantly, I'm having fun doing them!

The App Store is slated to arrive soon on Apple TV and with the rumours that iOS will be combined into OSX in the release-after-next, appearing alongside touchscreen Macs & Cinema Displays, it'll be interesting to see if Omni can successfully buck the trend of 'price competitively, go for volume'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
I think what I've learnt so far, from other Member's opinions, is that what started out as a price issue, then evolved into value, has become for me, one of expectation.

Apple's App Store has changed my perception of software being a considered investment to it becoming a disposable commodity. I buy, on average, 2-3 Apps a day, of which 99.9% get junked. I view this buying pattern in the same way as my daily Starbucks and with the same commitment.

I know that fundi-GTD'ers will want me burnt at the stake for heresy, but in recent weeks I have been divorcing projects from OmniFocus into other Apps. My business GTD has gone to FileMaker Go, shopping and errands are now in HoneyDo, stuff to think about is in iThoughts, travel has gone to Travel Tracker and someday/maybe has moved over to iMandalArt. At first I thought I'd hate this, but I've realised I'm a natural for micro-GTD, where Apps that perform specific GTD tasks outstandingly well take precedent over trying to force them into one unified system. I've also discovered doing this means that I'm getting actions done much quicker, far more efficiently and, most importantly, I'm having fun doing them!

The App Store is slated to arrive soon on Apple TV and with the rumours that iOS will be combined into OSX in the release-after-next, appearing alongside touchscreen Macs & Cinema Displays, it'll be interesting to see if Omni can successfully buck the trend of 'price competitively, go for volume'.
As I mentioned elsewhere, there is nothing wrong with trying any other approach. OF is a great program, but might not be the best fit for everyone. Now I couldn't help but notice that if you add up all your program cost, it would come out to be close to $75 (if you go for traveltracker pro). Now last time I checked $40 is a lot cheaper than $75. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh View Post
Ok, I was one of those anxiously awaiting OmniFocus for the iPad. I have the Mac and iPhone versions. I use them a lot. I was excited to expand my use to my iPad, since I use it for much of my day-to-day work, and having it for maintaining my projects and tasks makes great sense.

But, the price point was high enough that I haven't bought it, yet. I might, but I'm seriously reconsidering my investment in OmniFocus, and I've very disappointed that there wasn't some kind of a 2 or 3 day introductory period when we could purchase it for a more reasonable investment of $15-$20.

Yes, in the grand scheme of life, $40 isn't a huge investment. However, when added to the $20 for OmniFocus iPhone, and $80 for the Mac, it's a little stratospheric. (Not to mention all of my other OmniGroup products!)

I'm pretty disappointed. It seems like you're milking loyalty. And now I'm very torn.

?

Its all about motivation. If 40 buck is enough to deliver a great app from the team then im ok with that.

Im fine with the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
Now I couldn't help but notice that if you add up all your program cost, it would come out to be close to $75 (if you go for traveltracker pro). Now last time I checked $40 is a lot cheaper than $75. . .
I agree wholeheartedly Ksrhee with your figures, but as previously mentioned, I don't believe that what I'm talking about is price.

Let me give you an example: if Amazon sold an App that allowed me to order online and have my goods delivered immediately by Star Trek transporter technology directly into my flat, I'd currently pay $1,000s to the developer of that piece of software for the convenience offered and be happy to do so.

As outlined in my previous post, I've moved my shopping and errands tasks to HoneyDo and that App has already saved me at least a thousand dollars for an outlay of less than five bucks and multiplied by ten the number of actions completed; or alternatively I could have simply left this category to languish alone within OmniFocus sans financial benefits!

For me, it's not price, maybe even now not value, but expectation.

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-08-29 at 02:14 PM..

I guess spending on something that you really want will be worth it. I am using this now and I am quite happy with what I got. It's not really milking loyalty but it is the worth of the quality product that you will have. pokie slots

Last edited by abby0880; 2010-09-01 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: typo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
You know what would make this thread more appropriate? A dead horse. Anyone got a dead horse we can use for a bit? Oh, and a club. We need a club as well. Anyone got a club?
ifonline, really appreciated the above post, I genuinely laughed out loud, as with whpalmer4's one analogising that OmniFocus is outdated, expensive to maintain, only for enthusiasts and is deliberately stuffed full of bugs to keep Members of this Board interested and engaged! :p

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-08-31 at 11:32 AM..