The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Archiving / Definition of 'Dropped Items'? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am worried that archiving could move too many items. What exactly is the meaning of 'dropped' for items in this context?

Martin

If you're not sure what 'dropped' means, you probably haven't dropped any projects or folders. Here's some more detail, copied from the OmniFocus help:

Dropping a project or folder
If you’ve decided not to work on a project any further, you can drop it completely. It disappears from your Active list in the sidebar, and its actions likewise stay hidden. Of course, you could just delete the project, but then you wouldn’t have any record of it or its actions ever having existed. Keeping them around in a dropped state means you can go back and check on how often you give up on projects, check which actions you’ve completed regardless of whether they’re from still-relevant projects, and so on.
In the same way, you can also drop folders — perhaps a major move, a new job, or some other event has rendered a whole category of projects irrelevant.
There are several ways to drop a project:
Select the project in the main outline, then use the Status control in the inspector to choose Dropped.
Select the project in the sidebar, then choose Dropped from the gear menu at the bottom of the sidebar. (This also works for folders.)
Right-click or Control-click the project in the main outline or in the sidebar, then choose Dropped from the contextual menu. (This also works for folders.)
To make a dropped project or folder active again:
Choose Dropped from the view bar’s project filter pop-up menu, above the sidebar.
Find the project, then use one of the same techniques as above to set the project’s status back to Active.

Thanks, Lizard, I actually have 'dropped' items, I simply did not recognize the term used in my non-English version of OmniFocus. Thanks a lot, questions answered! :)