The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Trouble with dragging files/attachments Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Thanks, the Dropbox thing is definitely growing on me. But I'm missing a couple of things I'm hoping you can enlighten me, about the way Dropbox works with OF:

1) some files (and all folders?) I have in my Dropbox folder, when I right-click on them, I don't see the "get public link" option. What's going on - what determines this and should I be able to link to folders or just files?

> files you want to access on iPad or iPhone you lose some convenience
> with Dropbox, as you won't be able to go directly to them as you can on
> the Mac,

how do I get to them - through the Dropbox app and links in OF, right?

> and some extra action needs to be taken (flagging the files as Favorites)
> to have them cached in the Dropbox app for offline access. For a

I'm definitely confused on this one: what happens when I flag them as favorites that's different (and where is this flagging done)?

thanks!!

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlevin777 View Post
Thanks, the Dropbox thing is definitely growing on me. But I'm missing a couple of things I'm hoping you can enlighten me, about the way Dropbox works with OF:

1) some files (and all folders?) I have in my Dropbox folder, when I right-click on them, I don't see the "get public link" option. What's going on - what determines this and should I be able to link to folders or just files?
Any files you want to publish to the world need to be in the Public folder of your Dropbox. You can't link to a folder, only to individual files, though there's nothing stopping you from zipping up a folder and publishing it as a file.

Quote:

> files you want to access on iPad or iPhone you lose some convenience
> with Dropbox, as you won't be able to go directly to them as you can on
> the Mac,

how do I get to them - through the Dropbox app and links in OF, right?
Yes.
Quote:
> and some extra action needs to be taken (flagging the files as Favorites)
> to have them cached in the Dropbox app for offline access. For a

I'm definitely confused on this one: what happens when I flag them as favorites that's different (and where is this flagging done)?
When you flag them as Favorites, you tell the app to cache a copy in the local filesystem, which allows you to open it while you don't have internet connectivity to the Dropbox servers. To mark something as a Favorite, you open it up in the Dropbox app, then tap on the hollow star icon (which will fill in). At the top level of the app there's a Favorites icon which you tap to go to the list of files that you have saved locally. If you've stored a lot of files, you may need to adjust the Settings as well, as one of them controls how much local storage is available. The app seems to notice pretty quickly that the server's copy has been updated and update the cached copy, but if you make changes to a big file that you'll want to see while in the wilderness, I would go to the Favorites icon and make sure it shows the file has been updated before setting out.

super, thanks!

Mike