The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Other WebDAV
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Switching WebDAV Server? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

Just getting started with Synching between OF on my Mac and on my iPhone 3G.

A [perhaps stupid] question that's been coming up for me is: what happens if I have to switch WebDAV servers?

All my projects and tasks are currently in my OmniFocus on my Mac. I want to start synching so that I can use OF which is already installed on my iPhone. But, the WebDAV server I choose to get started will not likely be the server I use on an ongoing basis.

I'm guessing that when I need to switch WebDAV servers, I just need to:

• make sure that both my Mac and iPhone are in sync, so that I don't lose any data that's outgoing on the iPhone
  • change the sync settings in OF on the Mac to use the new WebDAV share. Synchronization with the old WebDAV server will be abandoned.
  • reset OF on the iPhone to use the same new server - I think when this happens, all the previous data on the iPhone will be lost and be replaced by a new document
It's essentially like establishing sync for the first time, correct? Is there any risk?

There's always _some_ risk - you might hit the wrong button at some point, or you might run into some difficulties if the new WebDAV server doesn't support some element of the WebDAV standard that we require (something that turned out to be a lot more common than we anticipated based on our testing). Therefore, I recommend that you do a backup (via the File menu) first so you can restore from that if need be.

However, I've done this a number of times, and it's a somewhat common thing at Omni to use this in order to switch between test data. I doubt you will run into any problems (again, unless your new WebDAV server doesn't fully support the WebDAV specification).

Thanks Andrew!

It would be cool if there was a sticky here in the forum, listing the servers that are known to work and that are known to have trouble. I know the information has been posted, but I don't think I've seen in a concise list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
There's always _some_ risk - you might hit the wrong button at some point, or you might run into some difficulties if the new WebDAV server doesn't support some element of the WebDAV standard that we require (something that turned out to be a lot more common than we anticipated based on our testing). Therefore, I recommend that you do a backup (via the File menu) first so you can restore from that if need be.

However, I've done this a number of times, and it's a somewhat common thing at Omni to use this in order to switch between test data. I doubt you will run into any problems (again, unless your new WebDAV server doesn't fully support the WebDAV specification).