The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Time and budget Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Typically when I'm laying out a project I'll put in the weeks, then add the resources afterward. Usually I have a good idea how many people will be working on a given activity, and it's rarely just one, but I take that into account when I'm creating the durations.

I would really prefer if OP would ask me if I want to increase budget or reduce duration when adding more than one resource to a task. Currently it chops the duration by half (or whatever), and that messes up the durations and I have to go back and manually change them back. Or perhaps there is a preference setting that does this globally?

Besides, we all know that throwing two people at a task doesn't necessarily drop its time in half :o And in some cases it doesn't affect it at all: For example, one task that we do a lot is reviewing videos from ethnographic in-home visits as part of our research. It takes the same amount of time to review those tapes whether it's one person or three, but it's good practice to have all the people on the team review the tapes so they see the customer input first hand.

Adam

I totaly agree with Adam,

Most of the time when I am plannign tasks I know the duration it will take better than the effort.

1. Create your tasks with time estimates
2. Select all tasks
3. Lock duration
4. Add resources -- note that effort changes instead of duration.

(except there's a bug right now so you can't do step 3 for multiple tasks