The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

[FIXED] WTF? "Your database needs to be reopened" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I too find it rather interruptive. It's far more annoying when I have another application focused and the OF dock icon is just bouncing away in the dock telling me I need to re-open a database for an application I'm not even using. That is really irritating to me. If I'm not using the app, just do it already and get it over with.

Actually, I have two different issues with this. First, I've been getting this repeatedly and reopen each time, but 30 minutes later get it again. I'm not sure how it's getting out of sync. I suspect my phone is causing the problem, but don't know for sure, since it has OF open. However, I didn't change OF on the phone, so I don't know why I'd need to reopen.

Second, the restart should show what I was already showing. When OF reopens, it just has a list of projects rather than the perspective I was showing.

I really hope you guys are able to somehow leverage the new push features to avoid all this messiness with synching.

This is starting to get really frickin' annoying...

Here I am, typing away in my e-mail and OmniFocus is bouncing away in my dock telling me I need to re-open my database.

WHO CARES! STFU!

So, I open Safari and I'm writing an entry in the Omni forums, and OF is still there in my dock bouncing away telling me it needs to re-open the database.

WHO CARES! STFU!

Why is my productivity app f**cking with my productivity?

Well, this is pre-release software, technically. I hope Omni Group fixes it before the 1.1 release. Would you prefer it if you were typing away in email, glancing at your context list in an inactive window, and then it just disappeared without warning? That's the other option, unless Omni can figure out a way to consolidate changes without closing and reopening the file.

Brian, I'm with you in being patient, but I find this behavior both annoying and random at times.

I just had this happen where this is the only computer that has been active for a couple of hours. I sync obsessively before I leave for the office (laptop, iPhone). When I get to the office, I makes sure the desktop is synced immediately. About an hour later, I make a couple of changes and make sure that the little sync button does its' dance. OF is NOT active on the phone. All should be well, right?

About an hour after that, for no apparent reason, with OF in the background, I am trying to read a recent case. Opinions are boring, and I am struggling to concentrate, when the OF dock icon blows ups, dragging me back to reality and out of my flow, asking me to reopen the db.

So I scream the acronym so elegantly posted above, bring OF forward, hit OK, and watch as a completely random screen is returned that does not remotely resemble the perspective I had up earlier.

This feels like a cat just jumped from the ceiling, ran across my keyboard, scared the hell out of me, and left.

Moreover, there is always a distant thought in my mind that my data is somehow at risk, since OF is telling me something has to happen with my database that needs me attention NOW!!!

All I would ask is the Omni really get on this one quick, or give us more info or a preference of some kind.

Anyways, back to that boring case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawDaddy View Post
About an hour after that, for no apparent reason, with OF in the background, I am trying to read a recent case. Opinions are boring, and I am struggling to concentrate, when the OF dock icon blows ups, dragging me back to reality and out of my flow, asking me to reopen the db.

This feels like a cat just jumped from the ceiling, ran across my keyboard, scared the hell out of me, and left.
You were starting to nod off there, counselor. They did you a favor :-)

Ahhh, it's a FEATURE!!! I hadn't thought of it that way... ;)

We are definitely aware of this problem. (It happens to me about 18 times a day too.) Tracking down and solving it is proving a bit complicated. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
We are definitely aware of this problem. (It happens to me about 18 times a day too.) Tracking down and solving it is proving a bit complicated. Sorry.
I don't mean to suggest this issue is not worthy of pursuing, but for what it's worth, I almost never see this prompt (maybe once or twice a week at most). So why does it appear over and over for some people but not others? Eighteen times a day would be annoying!

I keep OmniFocus running pretty much all the time, if that makes any difference. And I only use OmniFocus on my iPhone a couple times a day.

-Dennis

The first step is a better message. The second step is making sure it doesn't happen more often than it should.

I'd put them in this order because the first problem (I'm a new OF user) is understanding the question, and it's a scary question to begin with. The fear is that if you answer incorrectly you might lose data.

If I understood the message, I'd be less bothered that it happened unexpectedly.

Why don't we toss in some suggestions for messages. To start, I'd say that the term 'database' is ambiguous since the average user buying OF doesn't think they are buying a database. Also, it's not just a database (in the background) that is going to restart.

I'll throw out one to start.
==================================================

"Recent sync has updated your data. OmniFocus needs to restart"

- then buttons that make sense in this context.