The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

omnifocus clipping and typinator Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm tweaking my organizational system (such as it is) away from mail.app smart mailboxes to saving emails in omnifocus projects via clipping. So far it's very cool, and I think I'll stick with it. One problem though: when I go to fill in the quick entry fields omnifocus does not recognize text that should be triggering typinators fill-ins; for instance, I type 'dt' which should convert (via typinator) into '0605' for today's date. It's not. Is there anything to be done?

Thanks in advance.

You could type "0d" (that's zero followed by d) followed by a key such as the tab key or arrow key to get today's date. OmniFocus does that automatically. If you search the forum, you'll find a post with a bunch of abbreviations for dates. I use TextExpander and checked and its abbreviations do expand in OmniFocus so I wouldn't expect OmniFocus to be preventing Typinator from working.

thanks. I checked and you're right. Typinator does work in Omnifocus . . . except when I'm using the quick entry window. Also, I should have been more specific -- I'm trying to 'typinate' the date in the action field of the quick entry window to name the email file I'm clipping. So, for instance, an email I get today would have in the first (action) field: "(person's initials)-0605-email" and I save it to the relevant project by typing that in the next field, and then in the context field it's "support:email". Funny that it doesn't work. Thanks also for the 0d tip -- I didn't know that and it'll come in handy.

One other thing. When I try to use typinator in the quick entry window it seems to be putting the expanded, triggered word into the application I had open when I went to the quick entry window. Interesting.

TextExpander does work in the quick entry window. And yes, the 0d, 1d, 1w, 1m, Fri, etc. abbreviations are for the data columns. No idea why Typinator doesn't.

I'm narrowing this down. Typinator does work in the quick entry data fields, except when I access it while in a different app. So if I'm in omnifocus and trigger the quick entry window, it does work; but if I'm in mail.app and clip an email and trigger quick entry, it does not (nor does 0d, 1d, etc.). I'm still baffled. Would be damn near perfect if it worked.