The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to use the "Make Stencil" feature in v1.4? [A: see thread.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Users can create stencils from scratch...... HOW? don't see any specifics on your web site, nothing here to guide me, and I'm not seeing it in the app itself. I REALLY would like to create a stencil set that contains a context/task specific set so that I don't have to recreate the collection each time I do the same type of session, but I can't figure out how. Don't have mac version, *may* get it if I have to. Then I could create sets in the mac version and move them over, but that's an expensive solution.

Sorry for the confusion, egasber. On first reading, I didn't understand the "document browser is divided into two parts" bit in the online help, either, but eventually I figured it out. :-)

In the document browser, you'll notice a new disclosure triangle next to "Diagrams (X of Y)" - if you tap that, you can select "Show Stencils". The contents of the browser will change, and the "New Document" button will become a "New Stencil" button.

Hope that helps! I'm going to move your post and this one into their own thread in case other folks come looking for this...

In the stencil creator, grouped objects become a single stencil. Different canvases create groupings of stencils. Took me a bit to figure that one out. Busy dividing up the downloaded stencils into groups by creating canvases for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egasber View Post
Users can create stencils from scratch...... HOW? don't see any specifics on your web site, nothing here to guide me, and I'm not seeing it in the app itself. ...
I slowly figured it out, then emailed the following Help Text suggestion to OmniGraffle:

Stencil Creation:

. You can switch between document/stencil mode via the triangular pull-down control in the top center of the doc selection window.
. All objects in your stencil doc will be displayed to the end user in the stencil popover, in a sequence of panels, where each panel is one of the canvas names in your stencil doc. *Therefore remove extraneous labels and objects first, and preferably use one layer per canvas.
. To control the order in which your stencil icons are displayed to the user, use the Objects List button of the Contents Popover (upper left menu). Notice that each Object in the list has a Gripper Control at right (3 parallel lines), with which you can drag the selected object up or down to a desired list place.