The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iGTD on par with KGTD Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have high hopes for OmniFocus when it comes out, but those desperate for something as good as KGTD, even a little better, that works now might wish to try iGTD. As of the latest release it is the first real alternative to KGTD I've seen for Mac OS X. It is a solid and well thought out program which includes iApp integration and a QuickSilver plugin, and all the GTD goodness you'd want. I can easily imagine how something like OmniFocus could be even better (especially on the GUI front), but at least there is no need to wait indefinitely to start getting things done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luhmann
I have high hopes for OmniFocus when it comes out, but those desperate for something as good as KGTD, even a little better, that works now might wish to try iGTD. As of the latest release it is the first real alternative to KGTD I've seen for Mac OS X. It is a solid and well thought out program which includes iApp integration and a QuickSilver plugin, and all the GTD goodness you'd want. I can easily imagine how something like OmniFocus could be even better (especially on the GUI front), but at least there is no need to wait indefinitely to start getting things done.
I tried iGTD recently, and at first I was greatly impressed... it is a very nice program - but it is missing one essential feature that makes it completely unusable for implementing GTD. It sorts all tasks within projects alphabetically, and gives you NO WAY to reorder the tasks! This has been discussed on the iGTD forums, and the author plans to implement this, but until then it's useless. Projects don't proceed in alphabetical order! The "next action" is not necessarily the next in the alphabet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspong
It sorts all tasks within projects alphabetically, and gives you NO WAY to reorder the tasks!
It seems to me that in iGTD, tasks within projects can be sorted by either their name, their context, or their priority. It's just a matter of clicking on the whichever column heading you want to sort by, as is common in the Finder 'list' view and in iTunes.

I figure that you can use the priority feature to determine which actions should be next, and take it from there.

This guy is updating this app like crazy - the one big thing that I've been tripping up on has been the inability to re-size the lefthand column, preventing me from seeing the whole line of text for the project description (a big drawback from me, as I've been trying to get better at defining a project by describing it's ideal successful outcome, an often overlooked aspect of GTD, imho).

He's told me that a fix for that is in the works as well, so if you don't see something you like in a current build, check back in a week and it might be fixed.

I'm still very curious about OmniFocus, but having abandoned kGTD a few months ago for a paper-based system, I'm currently inching towards iGTD simply because it seems promising enough to give it a whirl.

Quote:
As of the latest release it is the first real alternative to KGTD I've seen for Mac OS X. It is a solid and well thought out program which includes iApp integration and a QuickSilver plugin, and all the GTD goodness you'd want...
I’ve read this type of comment about many GTD apps, and typically they’re missing basic GTD features. :)

Last time I tried this it was missing Delegate/Waiting For functionality. The author mentioned that future releases would have these features, but I have no idea whether they’re already implemented or not.
And a critical factor for me is trustworthiness. For GTD purposes I don’t really trust an application that gets updated so frequently.

I may give it another try once it’s version 1.5 or 2.0. The author is very responsive and I wish him the best with his program.
For now, it’s back to ThinkingRock. And version 2 will probably see the light of day this week! For me TR has set the standard.

A lot of people have been waiting for TR2.0 for months and meanwhile iGTD is catching up fast. I had another look at iGTD over the weekend and found using it so easy that I setup all my TR tasks and projects in under an hour.

I'm eager to see what happens with OmniFocus and hope it's both simple and a killer application but for now it's iGTD and as others have said the pace of development and response of its creator is astounding.

:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nahasapeemapetilon
Last time I tried this it was missing Delegate/Waiting For functionality. The author mentioned that future releases would have these features, but I have no idea whether they’re already implemented or not.
Waiting for has been implemented. And it seems new features are implemented every day, if not twice in a day. Just today MailTags support was integrated, I've yet to try it out!

If you tried it a few weeks ago, I strongly suggest giving it another try before commenting, as development is moving fast.

It is interesting to see the difference between how he works and how the Omni Group works. He is all about getting something out there and responding to customers to constantly make it better, while the Omni Group seems to be more about trying to get things perfect before releasing it. Both approaches have their merits, but I'm definitely happy to have something I can use now which has all the features and more of KGTD. Syncing works much better for me than it ever did in KGTD, and the smart folders are really nice.

Quote:
If you tried it a few weeks ago, I strongly suggest giving it another try before commenting, as development is moving fast.
I did preface my comment by saying “Last time I tried this...” :)

iGTD is definitely not something I would use for GTD purposes right now. As you mentioned, development is moving fast. Once it’s more developed I may try it. Even with OmniFocus I’m not that interested in testing the early betas. I did give my feedback to the author. He’s the one who told me that he was going to implement the features I mentioned. :) I’m surprised that Waiting For is (somewhat) implemented, but Delegate is still missing. Apparently that’s planned for 1.4.x., along with printing. The author is very friendly and responsive, as well as appreciative of all the feedback he’s been receiving.

I do hope that it becomes a great GTD application, but for me it’s not that useful in it’s current state. (At the moment) I don’t want to be working for a GTD program. I want the program to work for me and help me in Getting Things Done.

As much as I often enjoy beta testing, right now for GTD I would prefer something more evolved, or in the words of David Allen a trustworthy system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ueila
A lot of people have been waiting for TR2.0 for months and meanwhile iGTD is catching up fast.
The Mac version is already out :)
It’s still preliminary, but I imagine that it will evolve quickly in the next couple of weeks. TR already worked for me better than all of the alternatives I tried. TR 2 adds many useful features.
I won’t post a thorough review yet, since this is the first release, intended to get user feedback. I would not use it yet for GTD purposes. :)

Interesting discussion on 43Folders about iGTD:

http://www.43folders.com/2007/04/08/igtd-quicksilver/

My favorite quote: "this ongoing Newton user has finally shifted the task management out of the Newton back to a laptop. iGTD is fabulous"

While it is a beta product and in development, it already has a decent backup system in place. I have to admit I'm really liking it, but I'll give TR 2 a look.

The best thing is that we have choices :)

If you want to read a bit about the preliminary Thinking Rock 2, check out the following:
http://www.zzamboni.org/brt/2007/04/...nking-rock-20/

Right now users are reporting bugs and offering comments and suggestions. I can’t wait for their official release.