The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Any chance of getting a side panel instead of an inspector window? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
To me it just seems like having a panel at the very right side of the window that can be shown and hidden is much more elegant and self-contained than the current setup with an inspector. Any chance of Omni Group deciding to go this route instead?

I personally prefer the flexibility of the inspector window. Not only does it allow you to position the info wherever you want, but it can also overlap your main window (handy for small screens). And, because the inspector window doesn't consume the entire height of the main window as a second, right-hand sidebar would, it's a much more efficient use of space.

What if the inspector "docked" to the side of the main window (snapped to the main window as it does to the side of the screen? Would that be a good compromise?

-Dennis

I would prefer it integrated or at least docked as the replier suggested. I generally detached inspector windows. It is just a burden to me with no upside. Have something that is attached to the window that can pop in and out.

Look at these pics to see how iTerm does it's shortcut bar thing (this is just an example that is readily available to me right now.

http://skitch.com/indygreg/u8cp/console (not popped out)
http://skitch.com/indygreg/u8cu/console (popped out)

If you want to leave it popped out, it stays out. You can make it go away when you want.

People must like detached inspector windows, as other programs have them as well. I just cannot see where it is an advantage.

Oh, you're talking about a "drawer". Yeah, lots of apps on the Mac use them (including some Omni Group apps, like OmniOutliner and older versions of OnniGraffle). Many OS X apps seem to be switching to sidebar, which of course OmniFocus already uses for project and context source lists. Very few Mac apps use two drawers or a sidebar and a drawer.

-Dennis

One good example of double drawers that are extremely flexible and user adjustable is Pathfinder.

http://www.cocoatech.com/pf4/

Quote:
Originally Posted by oschultz View Post
One good example of double drawers that are extremely flexible and user adjustable is Pathfinder.
I can't seem to find any screenshots showing multiple drawers. I don't doubt that Path Finder uses them (it looks pretty sophisticated), I just didn't see any examples in my brief look over the site.

However, it looks like Path Finder also makes heavy use of inspector windows like OmniFocus. :)

-Dennis

Just to throw something in: when going from internal to external screen on a portable the main window follows the main screen but the palette stays where it is. That behaviour is maybe fine for Photoshop with *many* palettes but for OF I hate it. Wouldn't be a issue with a drawer … ;)

.....or with inline ;) ;)