The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

From Things to OF: Advice/Tips/Thoughts? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there an equivalent to Things' "Today" and "Scheduled"? I like being able to start my day by dragging things I need to do into Today, and then defer things by dragging them into Scheduled (and having them pop back into Today automatically in some arbitrary number of days).

I don't quite understand OF model yet, but haven't been able to figure out a way to do that conveniently.

Emmby, first off: welcome. :-)

Most folks looking for a view like that do the following:

Flag some items that you want to accomplish today.
(You can flag items by mousing over them, then clicking the greyed-out flag icon. There's also a menu item/keyboard shortcut under the Edit menu if you prefer that.)

Once you have the items you want to accomplish flagged, switch to Context view, and then select
View -> Status Filter -> Due or Flagged
from the menu bar.

This shows all the items that fall into your Due Soon window plus all the items you just flagged in the same view. If you'll use this view frequently, the options under the Perspectives window will let you save the view so you can get back to it easily from the menu or with a keyboard shortcut of your choosing.

Does that help?

That does help, thank you Brian.

Do you have any suggestions on quick ways to defer items until later? At the end of the day I like going through the remainder of items on my list and deferring them a day or two (or more) to make sure my task list is empty before i leave the office.

With Things I just move them to Scheduled and type hit return for the default of 1 day, and I can rest assured they'll be there waiting for me in the Today view when i come in tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmby View Post
Do you have any suggestions on quick ways to defer items until later? At the end of the day I like going through the remainder of items on my list and deferring them a day or two (or more) to make sure my task list is empty before i leave the office.
Why not just do that with everything at the beginning of the day, and leave early? :-)

I recommend Dan Byler's Defer script, available at http://bylr.net/files/omnifocus/ You can select multiple items, invoke the script, and defer the whole lot at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmby View Post
Do you have any suggestions on quick ways to defer items until later?
you can type "+Xd" into a date field to push it out X days from today's date. (Ditto with "h" for hours, "w" for weeks, and "m" for months.)

I believe we have some other feature requests open in the development database for buttons or other ways to handle this task; if you have any thoughts, email the support ninjas and they can make sure it gets to the team. (Either by attaching to an existing request, or by opening up a new one.)

Brian,

Is there any way to assign a context or date to multiple items at once?

if you turn on the inspect window, you can then highlight multiple items and change anything from project, to context, dates, etc.

Hey MutanSquid,

nice seeing you here. Cose is around as well. You'll love it here! It's just like moving from the Gulag to a free country. No censorship, no bull, and a great software with plenty of options.

I noticed CC tweeted offering jobs for programmers. I guess my assumption that the brains behind the original Things in no longer with them. Otherwise, why look for new people?

Anyway, I am not here to bash those guys. I am here because OF is a professional application and I am happy with it.

@mgorman85

you're right about the flight plan thing. I am amazed that so many people suddenly calmed down. To me, it's just more of the same!

Last edited by Mango Himself; 2010-02-10 at 06:31 AM..

@Mango

Right. Now instead of moderators saying "see 'this is not a roadmap'" they'll simply be saying "see 'flight plan'" instead.

Quote:
Right. Now instead of moderators saying "see 'this is not a roadmap'" they'll simply be saying "see 'flight plan'" instead.
I am laughing so hard my feet hurt!!!