The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Had a quick look at 5 Beta.... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Right after i downloaded and installed OG 5.0 Beta, i clicked on the Help Menu, then clicked on "What's New in 5"–just to point me in the right direction about where the coolest new features are.

Well, when you do that, you are sent to a Page on the Omni Site that says, in striking bold 22 pt Grey Helvetica: "Something Has Gone Horribly Awry."

Not just 'Awry" but "Horribly Awry."

These Omni folks are a modest bunch.

My expectations sufficiently constrained, i had a look. (I had no choice actually, i had already deleted 4.2.2.–obviously before i had read the "horribly awry" thing.)

This is actually beautiful upgrade–already it seems so superior to the prior version, which in turn was so superior to anything else out there (Windows or Mac).

Some highlights i particularly like (i.e., features which for me will make my OG documents better immediately): The canvas/layer model is vastly improved (in implementation at least)--i never quite grasped the previous versions' division of Master Canvas and Layers; Layers and "Shared Layers," i get right away. Another one: many of my OG docs were nested (e.g., one box in the first layer was in turn the root node of a separate graph, for which i used another layer–you had to be in the presentation mode to enable that interaction but even then you couldn't see both at the same time (at least i didn't know how)–now you can. How? Imagine the key feature of Outliner built into Graffle–so analogous to collapsing/expanding children of a row, you can expand and collapse subgraphs on the same layer–nice one. Also, check out the Presentation Mode. If this functionality was in 4.2.2, i couldn't find it, but what i'm pretty sure is new is the Navigation Controls at bottom (they appear like for the Quicktime Player)–this is enough for me to no longer feel like i need to put my OG diagrams into KeyNote. There's a lot more, but the only other thing i'll mention is the new aesthetic–slick, like James Bond slick. It reminds me of when i was a University student and first saw a NeXT box (they were sold in the Student Center, not sure why because only professional athletes could afford to buy one)--the applications all looked about half a dozen generations ahead of anything else at the time–all ultra high-res and greyscale).

And fidelity to that aesthetic extends right down to the icon–it's a slick black/silver thing, which in principle i like–still, i just wish they would have checked with me first before doing something drastic like changing the App's Icon. I probably would have given my ok, but still.

I have a 2.8 Ghz 24" iMac with 4 GB of ram. I am getting a lot of beach balling. No crashes, but 30 - 60 seconds of nothing getting done when I launch the program and open existing OGP files.

Looks sharp but I am not sure I like losing my Master Canvases, if that is the case. I just set some new one's up.

I must dig deeper and plan to this weekend.

Strange. My box is primitive compared to that–2.2 GHz, 2 Gb RAM, MBP. I wonder if you are working much larger files (some of mine are 8 - 10 canvases, but w/o stuff that requires too much heavy lifting (click-thrus, etc.) I just played around with 5 for a couple of hours using files i had worked on last (using 4.2.2)–nothing larger than 1 MB.

Hey, I'm having a problem with OGP 5. I did the same thing as Alex_land, I installed 5 and deleted 4.2.2, and now, there are some problems with 5. A lot of the icons (in the toolbar, for example) are blank buttons, and when opening the stencils pallet, all of the files are marked as missing. I'm pretty sure that all of those files are in some library folder, so it could be that OGP 5 is just not finding them. Or, are they part of the contents of the application? In that case, Omni could have messed up in including those files. But that seems like a mistake that they wouldn't make. In terms of speed, my app is fine (on a g4 tower nonetheless) but the lack of icons hinders use a bit. Any ideas?

Strange: OG 5 crashes whenever I try to open OG4 files. It runs fine by itself, so I can create new docs, but cannot open my beloved Nassi-Shneiderman diagrams. Sigh. I repaired permissions -- but to no avail...

Sorry tbo, I don't have a solution to your problem. However, my problem seems to have resolved itself and OGP 5 is running smoothly now.

So I am waiting beta 2.
No, wait: I found it: it is just one document that is causing the problems, it has referenced EPS-Graphics. The rest is fine.

Last edited by tbo; 2007-12-03 at 12:42 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbo View Post
So I am waiting beta 2.
No, wait: I found it: it is just one document that is causing the problems, it has referenced EPS-Graphics. The rest is fine.
Can you send that file in to omnigraffle@omnigroup.com?

Thanks

Sorry, I do not find the new OS X version to be my liking, the UI has been ruined compared to 10.4.x. So I find that the need to have 10.5 to be able to run 5 Beta 2 is not very nice at all.

I do not see a big change between, 4 and 5 in terms of new features, what about dimensions???? one that would stay stuck when placed and dynamically call out when the object is re-sized?

Nope, all I see are bug fixes, that do not warrant a step up from 4.x to 5.x.

JUST A BIG MONEY GRAB.

Hey, rewriting something like this is a huge investment. They already said they were starting with a new graphics engine. Obviously they've got big plans or they wouldn't have done something as extreme as changing the entire guts to their main product!

If they were just after money, they would have just kept plodding along doing "featuritis" like Microsoft, all the while the thing gets heavier and heavier.

This version 5 already shows signs of some serious possibilities. Take for example in the stencils. They've got some toys in there that are brand new, like little markers that let you change the shape in the correct way....
Look at the "connections" stencils and grab one at a time and play with them. They're already showing you features not in V4. These are the features I wished they had, and now they're adding them! (Similar to the "Smart" drawing tools in Microsoft Powerpoint 2007)

And wow, some of this stuff works really smoothly now...