The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Orthogonal Connections Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi -

I'm trying to create a diagram that has a series of boxes connected with vertical lines (see attached image). The boxes are different widths so connecting center-to-center doesn't result in vertical lines.

I've tried messing with the magnets and just holding Option as I move the arrow ends around, but nothing results in vertical lines that actually connect the boxes. Is there a simple way to do this? I would like to continue editing the diagram (resizing and moving boxes), so I would like a way to do this that is not 'fragile'.

Thanks,

--ee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	802  

Any suggestions on this? If the question is not clear, I can post a larger image that might make the issue more clear.

If there isn't a way to do this within OmniGraffle, please consider this a feature request.

If the magnets were placed just so, this is possible; but it's relatively hard to place the magnets 'just so', and you can't move the shapes once you've got your lines in place.

Here's the suggestion we came up with:
Select Arrange > Guides > New Vertical Guides
Drag the pink line horizontally so it overlaps both shapes in the spot you'd like the line to occupy.
Double-click the magnet tool.
Drop a magnet just inside the border of each shape at the point where the vertical guide crosses the shape.
Switch to the line tool; hover over the magnet you just added. (You're in the right spot when it, rather than the shape, gets the pulsing selection highlight).
Click and drag to the magnet you added to the other shape - release when the magnet starts pulsing.
You can now move/remove the vertical guide.

So, possible, but not the easiest thing to do. There's an existing feature request that would cover making this better; if you send email to the support ninjas, we can attach you to that request, so the team knows it's something you'd like to see improved, as well.