The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Love the apps. Please add this little change Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi. Just bough OF for iPad. I have already the desktop and iPhone versions, so it is a lot of material to sync.

I would like a simple menu item to optimize the database in order to have just one .zip file in it. And even a reminder would be helpful, to do it after x zips.

Today, I have found that I have around 27 zip files in my database ! And the (desktop) process of compressing it (export to backup + restore) is too cryptical, in my opinion.

On another side, I would like an option to set "due soon means..." for 2 weeks or, at least, 10 days. One week is too short for my workflow, specially for some tasks. This would apply to all the versions of OF, of course,

Thanks for your attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamevou View Post
Hi. Just bough OF for iPad. I have already the desktop and iPhone versions, so it is a lot of material to sync.

I would like a simple menu item to optimize the database in order to have just one .zip file in it. And even a reminder would be helpful, to do it after x zips.

Today, I have found that I have around 27 zip files in my database ! And the (desktop) process of compressing it (export to backup + restore) is too cryptical, in my opinion.

On another side, I would like an option to set "due soon means..." for 2 weeks or, at least, 10 days. One week is too short for my workflow, specially for some tasks. This would apply to all the versions of OF, of course,

Thanks for your attention
Go to settings (by pressing the gear button), and there should be a entry called "Due Soon means." Click on that, and you will see the options.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
Go to settings (by pressing the gear button), and there should be a entry called "Due Soon means." Click on that, and you will see the options.

Hope this helps.
Yes, but "one week" is the maximum available to choose...
I would like OF to increas that max to two weeks or so.

Ken, the OP's issue is not that they can't set the value, but that they can't set it to the value they desire, as the current upper bound is 1 week.

Xameyou, use the Contact Omni option in the gear menu to file an official request for this. However, I suggest trying out the forecast view and a shorter value for due soon. I use either 1 or 2 days for due soon, and the forecast view to look further out, giving me a good feel for what I need to do today, this week, and with somewhat less accuracy, the upcoming months. I say less accuracy because I have a lot of projects or actions which repeat, and they do not show up in future views until the current instance is complete. Also, I regularly move projects on and off hold, which can rapidly change the future landscape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamevou View Post
Yes, but "one week" is the maximum available to choose...
I would like OF to increas that max to two weeks or so.
I see. I suggest you file the report, but I wonder if you set it to 2 weeks, you are going to be able to use the function effectively since Due soon, really means something that's due "soon."

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
I see. I suggest you file the report, but I wonder if you set it to 2 weeks, you are going to be able to use the function effectively since Due soon, really means something that's due "soon."

Ken
ok, I will file it.

In fact, this is a request more related to OF in general, not only to the iPad version. Actually, this is probably less needed in the iPad thanks to the forecast view, as whpalmer4 pointed out.

Please, what about the other issue, on making easier to compress the database?

Thanks!

Last edited by xamevou; 2010-07-31 at 04:33 AM..

It really shouldn't be necessary. I've got 149 zip files at the moment, and 4600 actions in 629 projects. It still starts quickly. If you make sure that all your clients sync regularly, the compaction will happen automatically. If they aren't syncing, a command to compact anyway will potentially lose changes. Sync all your devices, wait 60 minutes, sync again, and you should get a compaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
It really shouldn't be necessary. I've got 149 zip files at the moment, and 4600 actions in 629 projects. It still starts quickly. If you make sure that all your clients sync regularly, the compaction will happen automatically. If they aren't syncing, a command to compact anyway will potentially lose changes. Sync all your devices, wait 60 minutes, sync again, and you should get a compaction.
Wow. Do you sync via MobileMe? I do but sometimes is very slow, specially here in Europe (I've heard that in the US the MobileMe infrastructure works better than here)

In the past I used MobileMe, lately I've been using Omni's sync server (http://sync.omnigroup.com). They all take a while when my entire database (at times as much as 10 MB, compacted!) needs to be written back to the server, but that is largely due to my upload speed. The Omni one might be a bit faster, but doing an accurate comparison was more trouble than it was worth for me, and it seemed unlikely my results would necessarily apply to someone else using a different connection/ISP, a different MobileMe server, etc.

Try the Omni one out and see if it is better for you. There are also various other free options, check the OmniFocus sync forum for a thread discussing them.

Most of a sync happens in the background, and recent OF versions make the quick entry button available very early in launch, so I don't find sync getting in my way very often.

Thanks, I will try other options for sync, one of these days.

By the way, the number of clients could have a negative influence on sync performance?

I have four OF clients: an iMac at home, another iMac at the office, the iPhone and, now, the iPad. All of them sync once every day, or more.