The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniWeb 5.7 is weirdly like 1.0 version software. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've reported all my troubles, yes. But I was never offered a newer version to try out. Are the keychain and shared bookmark bugs fixed in this 5.8 beta?

Regardless I find good web browsers such as Camino are not this buggy, and the time of having put up with web browsers being unstable and generally crap is well up! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardling View Post
I've reported all my troubles, yes. But I was never offered a newer version to try out. Are the keychain and shared bookmark bugs fixed in this 5.8 beta?

Regardless I find good web browsers such as Camino are not this buggy, and the time of having put up with web browsers being unstable and generally crap is well up! :-)
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=8133 has info on the sneaky peek track for OmniWeb 5.8. I have downloaded it, but not yet tried it, so I cannot comment on whether or not it fixes your issues (which I haven't encountered with 5.7). Even if I had, only you can really definitively answer the question of whether your issues are still present, right?

In any case, it sounds like you have a browser you prefer, and maybe the $15 outlay will save you money in the future, by causing you to look more critically at software recommended by Macworld, et al before plunking down the hard-earned cash :-)

The release notes for 5.8 SP series says:
"Saving a password to the keychain may not work"

And, that's the main reason I'm staying with Safari+Safaristand for now.

Is Camino that good now? Is it using the latest Gecko engine (the one in FF 3.0)?

Payam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardling View Post

G'day philonous. I've found the Camino nightlies to be rock solid compared to FF2 (can't comment much on FF3 yet), OmniWeb and Safari. I'm unsure as to exactly which version of Gecko the very latest Camino nightly builds are using, but I rarely encounter rendering errors.

Another option that's worth checking out IMO are the webkit nightlies. I've been impressed by their stability and javascript rendering speed.

Last edited by Wizardling; 2008-06-29 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: formatting error

Pholonius - I'm sorry for the trouble you're having with OmniWeb - if you get in touch with the support ninjas, we can see if we can figure out what's going on here. With all that going on, being upset is certainly understandable! The number of hangs you're having is definitely out of the ordinary; the other issues, I should defer to the ninjas on - they know the lay of the land in re: OmniWeb better than I do.

If we can't get this straightened out, or if you're past the point of no return, we can also get you a refund, of course. If you're not happy with your purchase, we want to make that right.