The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Bonjour sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"Untrusted Root Server" error on Bonjour sync Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Same thing happened to me. Only now I am unable to sync via Bonjour. It simple won't sync. No error message; nothing.

I deleted the app from my iPhone and reinstalled. I select "Set Up Sync", select my shared Bonjour selection from my Mac, it goes into "Preparing to Synchronize" for about a second or two, then back to the "Sync with Mac" page. Nothing I do seems to work.

Apple asked us to switch to their public API for approving untrusted certificates in 1.6.1. The warning you're seeing is a normal part of the API, and once you select "Trust always", shouldn't ask you to approve again (unless you turn off Bonjour sync, then turn it back on, since you're effectively generating a new self-signed certificate). Hope this clears things up!

Sefbro, it sounds like something else may be going on in your case; if you email omnifocus@omnigroup.com, or call us at 800.315.6664, we can help. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown View Post
Apple asked us to switch to their public API for approving untrusted certificates in 1.6.1. The warning you're seeing is a normal part of the API, and once you select "Trust always", shouldn't ask you to approve again (unless you turn off Bonjour sync, then turn it back on, since you're effectively generating a new self-signed certificate). Hope this clears things up!
Not providing some way of identifying whether the certificate in question is one you should trust is a problem. Displaying a certificate fingerprint in both the mac and iPhone client would solve this. If this isn't supported as a consequence of the Apple API, they need some beating on to understand that.

Here's the response I received via email from Jameson Brown, a support ninja:
Sorry for the trouble! Here are a few troubleshooting steps you should try for Bonjour sync:

- First, recycle the power on your wireless router, then try synching again. As basic as it sounds, this has been the #1 culprit with Bonjour synching issues.

- Reset synching on the desktop by going into the Sync pane of the Preferences menu, setting the sync method to "Nothing", then set it back to Bonjour.

- If you're running Tiger, try turning off the firewall, then sync OmniFocus. If that worked, I'll send you detailed instructions on how to sync with the firewall on; for now, we just want to get you up and running.

- If you're running Leopard, go into System Preferences>Security>Firewall, and make sure it's either set to allow all incoming connections, or add OmniFocus to the list of applications allowed access.

- On your desktop's network settings, make sure there aren't any proxy servers set up.

- Turn your iPhone off and back on.

- Offices typically have firewalls installed on their wireless networks that will block the iPhone's attempt to connect with your Mac for synching. You may need to contact your IT department so they can open up a port for you to sync with.

You also have the option of setting up an ad-hoc network, which is a network that's broadcast directly from the wireless card on your Mac, which your iPhone can connect to in order to sync :

http://www.thinkmac.net/tutorials/20...daily-387.html
I tried the things he suggested, along with some suggestions from the FAQ, and finally got things to sync properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmclark View Post
I tried the things he suggested, along with some suggestions from the FAQ, and finally got things to sync properly.
To clarify, this didn't solve an "Untrusted Root Server" error, did it? Is this the right thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by santra View Post
"The server certificate for "https://[mycomputername].local:[a number]/OmniFocus.ofocus/" is signed by an untrusted root server. This site may not be trustworthy. Would you like to synchronize anyway?"
Woops! Sorry, that prompt is a bug: OmniFocus isn't supposed to display an "Untrusted Root Server" error when doing a Bonjour sync.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousstranger View Post
As a guy who does security for a living, and is having this same problem, that warning may be "normal" but it certainly isn't a good idea. Teaching customers to click "Trust always" without giving them any way to verify that the certificate is, actually, something they should trust is bad practice.
Absolutely agreed!

Sorry for the internal confusion on this, our support ninjas thought our OmniFocus engineers knew about this change in behavior and that we were accepting it as a limitation of the new security API—when really it's just a bug in our new code, not something imposed by the API at all. We'll fix it.

(Sorry also for the delay in noticing and responding to this! We've been working around the clock towards getting our first round of iPad apps ready.)

Good to hear, even if it took a few weeks ;)

Hi,
I have the project in dotnet.But I ahve to do thata in ipa and have to synchronize tha data from the server of the projct which is in dot net.
In first page i need a login page,which have to run when the login id and pswd is typed correctly which has given in the dotnet project.and in next page after clicking the synchroonize buton the data in the server must be synchronized.Can any one help me.
smrafiqsmd@gmail.com

Thank u

Mohammed, it would probably be best if you give us a call at 800.315.6664 or email our support ninjas so they can help.