The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Problems with OmniFocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by abates17 View Post
An action group should just have a context, just like any action, and then the documentation could say that actions inherit the context of their parent action group.
Action groups can have a context and if one is assigned, child actions will inherit the context of the parent action group by default. The context for the child action can be changed if needed, as not all child actions necessarily should have the same context.

Quote:
Then when all sub-actions are complete, the action group is treated like any other action. After all, that is EXACTLY what happens when all sub-actions are deleted: The action group turns back into an action..
There is a reason that completing all sub-actions behaves differently from deleting all sub-actions. When completing sub-actions, OmniFocus allows for the possibility that additional sub-actions may need to be added to the Action group (OmniFocus behaves the same way when all actions have been completed in a Project-the Project remains uncompleted for final review). If the user deletes all the sub-actions, then OmniFocus recognizes that the user has restructured the Action group back to an action. Hope this helps.

I'm having the same problem with the columns as well I understand how columns work in omni products. When I right click it says that the "context" column is visible. It's not. I deselect and then reselect it and it's still not visible. I've used omnifocus since it was in beta. This is new. Any ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashdollar View Post
I'm having the same problem with the columns as well I understand how columns work in omni products. When I right click it says that the "context" column is visible. It's not. I deselect and then reselect it and it's still not visible. I've used omnifocus since it was in beta. This is new. Any ideas
How about putting a screen capture up at http://imageshack.us or the like showing what you are doing and seeing? I just added the context column in my context mode view by using the right-click on the column headings method. It took a few seconds before it updated the display, but I've got a rather large database. You don't have the right hand side of the window up against or beyond the edge of the screen, do you? Have you tried the operation in OmniFocus in a freshly created user?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
Action groups can have a context and if one is assigned, child actions will inherit the context of the parent action group by default.
What I meant was, action groups do NOT have a context; they have a default context for sub-actions, but it is not displayed under the Context column in the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
If the user deletes all the sub-actions, then OmniFocus recognizes that the user has restructured the Action group back to an action.
I understand. I just wish there were a preference that says, “An action group with all sub-tasks completed becomes an action.” I use sub-actions this way all the time, and it gets confusing when the action group does not show up once the sub-actions have been completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abates17 View Post
However, “Focus on Selected Projects” does not work from the Context menu.
Whoops - correct. Sorry; I was operating from memory there, and said memory was obviously faulty. :-)