The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Application's name in Finder?! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Why is OmniGraffle Pro showing up in Finder without the version? When I try to manually enter the version into the name, it reverts to no version number. Is this a bug? Or a joke by the developer?

http://donmontalvo.com/omni/omnigraffle-naming.png

Thanks,
Don

Actually it is a feature since version 4. something - although they have the same name in the Finder, OmniGroup did something to the naming that lets you keep two different versions of the app in the same folder so that people could keep multiple versions on the go without having to first rename them so that older whole digit versions weren't overwritten when copying to your apps folder (I believe). I guess that this is a consequence of that decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Actually it is a feature since version 4. something - although they have the same name in the Finder, OmniGroup did something to the naming that lets you keep two different versions of the app in the same folder so that people could keep multiple versions on the go without having to first rename them so that older whole digit versions weren't overwritten when copying to your apps folder (I believe). I guess that this is a consequence of that decision.
Thanks, JKT,

This "feature" is a real issue in managed environments where Helpdesk is having to field calls because of the confusion caused by Omni's decision to hide the version number in the application name. We need an option to turn off this "feature". Also not that the "Hide extension" Finder flag is negatively impact by the Omnigraffle "feature".

If an option is not possible, then please supply us with a command to disable this "feature" so we can prevent further calls to the Helpdesk over the confusion caused by this "feature".

Thanks,
Don

Last edited by donmontalvo; 2008-01-27 at 05:06 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmontalvo View Post
Thanks, JKT,

This "feature" is a real issue in managed environments where Helpdesk is having to field calls because of the confusion caused by Omni's decision to hide the version number in the application name. We need an option to turn off this "feature". Also not that the "Hide extension" Finder flag is negatively impact by the Omnigraffle "feature".

If an option is not possible, then please supply us with a command to disable this "feature" so we can prevent further calls to the Helpdesk over the confusion caused by this "feature".

Thanks,
Don
I can't belive OmniGroup didn't correct this issue.

Don

Quote:
We need an option to turn off this "feature". Also not that the "Hide extension" Finder flag is negatively impact by the Omnigraffle "feature".
I'm able to rename the application in Finder to include the version number (either by clicking on it in the folder and renaming it, or by changing it in the Inspector), and it's hiding the .app extension for me by default (and doesn't allow me to show the extension, which obviously doesn't match your screenshot—I'm not sure why, maybe that's my default setting and the other is yours?).

Could you explain exactly what you're having trouble doing, i.e. what steps you're trying to take and what results you expected?

We added the major version number to the filename because otherwise many people downloading an upgrade thought we were trying to trick them into requiring a new license after they'd replaced their existing, licensed app (no matter how many warnings we put in the upgrade dialog and download page that it was a paid upgrade). This greatly reduced user frustration and our support burden.

However, many customers complained about the version being in the display name on aesthetic grounds: they felt the application name in the Finder shouldn't include the version number. So, we made the application's display name be "OmniGraffle" (as it had been) but the file name be "OmniGraffle 5" (so nobody would accidentally replace OmniGraffle 4 by installing it). We've received very few complaints with this arrangement (far fewer than we did with either of the previous arrangements).

But none of this should prevent you from changing the name in the Finder. Hmm.

Oh, wait, I think I see what's happening; if you try to change the name to "OmniGraffle 5" that will always display as "OmniGraffle". However, any other name you change it to (e.g. "OmniGraffle v5" or "OmniGraffle 5.0") will actually change and will make the display name and filename consistent.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Could you explain exactly what you're having trouble doing, i.e. what steps you're trying to take and what results you expected?
We have users in enterprise environments who are happily using OmniGraffle Pro 4. We want to upgrade them to version 5. We also want to propose rolling out more copies given its support for exported Visio documents.

Quote:
However, many customers complained about the version being in the display name on aesthetic grounds: they felt the application name in the Finder shouldn't include the version number. So, we made the application's display name be "OmniGraffle" (as it had been) but the file name be "OmniGraffle 5" (so nobody would accidentally replace OmniGraffle 4 by installing it). We've received very few complaints with this arrangement (far fewer than we did with either of the previous arrangements).!
That's fine, but consider the impact to our enterprise clients. We can't upgrade our users without the version number visible. We have to have both old and new versions installed during migration/upgrade.

If home users (or other admins) want the version number hidden, that's fine, but do it via a preference/option so those of us who are forced to work in much larger environments (with change control, IT managers who don't "get it", etc.) can deploy without having to answer to our helpdesk manager when unnecessary calls come in.

C'mon guys...don't you guys have any kind of change control in place to prevent these kinds of on-the-fly changes without polling your user base? I'm at a loss here. I own OmniGraffle Pro (have since v3) and I'm a huge supporter of Omnigroup...but this is rediculous.

Don

Quote:
That's fine, but consider the impact to our enterprise clients. We can't upgrade our users without the version number visible. We have to have both old and new versions installed during migration/upgrade.
Certainly! If you rename the apps to "OmniGraffle Pro v4" and "OmniGraffle Pro v5", it will work exactly as you expect.

Hope this helps!