The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Contexts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
jasong & eronel: Got it! thanks for taking the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Most of us are using the GTD model. In that model, the inbox is a holding pen for actions you haven't yet processed, as eronel mentioned.

OmniFocus has what it calls "single action projects" represented by a bucket icon; you can turn a project into a single action bucket by opening the inspector window and selecting "This is a list of single actions".

You can also choose a Default List of Single Actions under Preferences > Data.
I find this extremely confusing. If a bucket is a "singleton" or a "single action project", then why doesn't it show up in context mode unless you make it an action under a project? This is not only true when it's in the Inbox, but also when it's in the Library. If you have a single task like "go to bank", and you set it up as a singleton with a context of "errands", it does not show up as an errand in context view. Am I missing something? This seems pretty basic. The only way it will show up as an errand is if you make it an entry on a list (e.g. Singleton is a project named "Go to Bank" with a task under it of "Go to Bank"). I don't get it. How do others handle simple entries like this? Others have suggested things like having a project specifically set aside for singletons, but that doesn't seem right to me on any organizational level.

CraigS: A bucket is not, itself, a singleton. It contains single actions. So it no more shows up in context mode than your projects show up under context mode. Every action in one of your projects shows up in context mode (depending on your View Bar settings). Every action in a single-action list shows up in context mode (with the same caveat). But none of your projects shows up.

The salient difference between a project and a single-action list is that in the latter, all actions are next actions (since they are logically independent of one another) and they are colored blue by default, not purple or black, so that you can tell at a glance that they are single actions, unless you are color-blind.

As for the organizational level: this was hashed out several times on the forums. Search the forums for "singletons" and you'll get plenty of reading. Omni struck a balance between logic and usability: I think they struck the right one.