The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wanted: Growl-style bubble for current action Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This is perfect for what I need - thanks so much!

It would be great if the script could link back to the item if the growl notification is clicked, just like OmniFocus does when something becomes due.

Otherwise, perfect script! Very handy.

Is this working for anyone in OmniFocus-1.6?

Thanks,
Steve

I don't normally use it, but I was able to download it and run the script with OF 1.6.1 just now without any problem. What are you seeing (or not)?

whpalmer4,

Thanks for checking for me. I haven't used this in a quite awhile, but I've been drawn back as a possible focusing agent.

Nothing seems to happen when I run the script.

Growl 1.1.4 is turned on and works with other applications, curt's script is checked . . .

You do have an action selected when you run it, right?

For troubleshooting, I would suggest opening the Script Editor (double-clicking on the script file should do that) and using the Run button there to invoke the script. If you have the Event Log History window open when you run the script, you can see the output, which will look something like this:

Code:
tell application "OmniFocus"
	get every selected tree of content of document window 1 of document 1 whose index = 1
		{tree 3 of tree 243 of content of document window id 613 of document id "n3_4uuu0hr2"}
	get value of tree 3 of tree 243 of content of document window id 613 of document id "n3_4uuu0hr2"
		task id "nRjKLG1N3U7" of document id "n3_4uuu0hr2"
	get name of task id "nRjKLG1N3U7" of document id "n3_4uuu0hr2"
		"RE: Book Fair contest"
end tell
tell application "GrowlHelperApp"
	register as application "Curt's Scripts" all notifications {"Script Completed", "Script Began", "Sticky Notifications"} default notifications {"Script Completed"} icon of application "OmniFocus.app"
	notify with name "Sticky Notifications" title "What am I doing?" application name "Curt's Scripts" description "RE: Book Fair contest"
end tell
Posting that here might give us a clue as to what is going wrong.

I'm having the same issue, nothing happens. Here is the results from the event log:

get every selected tree of content of document window 1 of document 1 whose index = 1
{tree 2 of tree 2 of content of document window id 719661 of document id "lHm3rTww0mR"}
get value of tree 2 of tree 2 of content of document window id 719661 of document id "lHm3rTww0mR"
task id "k0ZToWJYA9C" of document id "lHm3rTww0mR"
get name of task id "k0ZToWJYA9C" of document id "lHm3rTww0mR"
"Take Macbook in for repair"
end tell
register as application "Curt's Scripts" all notifications {"Script Completed", "Script Began", "Sticky Notifications"} default notifications {"Script Completed"} icon of application "OmniFocus.app"
notify with name "Sticky Notifications" title "What am I doing?" application name "Curt's Scripts" description "Take Macbook in for repair"
end tell

And here is mine. . . It correctly identifies the action that I was on but nothing displays in growl. It is turned on, checked for curt's scripts, and is working for other apps.. . hmmm!

{tree 1 of tree 1 of tree 3 of content of document window id 7094 of document id "p69_IWY9YHf"}
get value of tree 1 of tree 1 of tree 3 of content of document window id 7094 of document id "p69_IWY9YHf"
task id "pVc3LIJyiae" of document id "p69_IWY9YHf"
get name of task id "pVc3LIJyiae" of document id "p69_IWY9YHf"
"research online quizzes"
end tell
notify with name "Sticky Notifications" title "What am I doing?" application name "Curt's Scripts" description "research online quizzes"
end tell

Here is an updated version of the script that I've been using: What Are You Doing.zip

This one is simpler than the original and uses a different application name in Growl. After you run the script once, you can go to Growl preferences and set notifications from "OmniFocus Stickies" to always Stay on Screen. I also set them to appear is every Space.

Those of you having trouble, please let me know if the new version works. If so, I'll post it to my software page. (I have a spiffy/cheesy icon for the script, but with the icon it's too large to post to the forums.)

Curt

This is working perfectly now, Thanks Curt