The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Focusing on Contexts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there,

I like that I can double-click a Project or folder to "focus" on it. What I'm unable to do is focus on just the Contexts associated with that Project: when I switch from Project view to Context view, I see all the actions, not just those within my current Focus.

Is there a way to see only the actions that are relevant to the focused project?

Thanks.

Do you mean manually choosing appropriate contexts, or having the empty contexts automatically drop away?

If I Focus on a single project then switch to Context view, I get all of the Actions associated with that project and all of my single (project-less) Next Actions.

Are you wanting to see only the Actions associated with that project?

I don't mind having all Contexts showing in my Focused list, but I don't want to see the Actions for Projects that I'm not focused on.

For example, I have a Context "Calls". I have a Project "Get house repainted", and another "Brew my own beer". Both projects have a Calls action: "Call painter to get estimate" and "Call Jim to get bock recipe".

If I'm focusing on the "Get house painted" project, I don't want to see the "Call Jim..." action (as thinking about beer is rather distracting for me).

(In an ideal world, I would only see Contexts that have relevant actions, but this is true regardless of the Focus part. I believe this ideal world has already been requested as a feature.)

jasong,

I'm guessing that you are not actually "focusing" on the project. The Focus button appears on the toolbar. Just selecting a project in the project sidebar does not focus on it; it merely displays it. You need to select the project in the sidebar and then click the Focus button. (You can also double click the project.) Once you've Focused on a project, then only its actions (and apparently non-project singletons?) will show in context view.

Curt

Ahhhh!

I was focusing on the project (double-click on project/folder to open new window or choose View > Focus on selected project).

Your last comment "and apparently non-project singletons?" is in fact the issue: all the actions showing up that aren't part of my Focused project have no project associated with them.

I didn't even notice that until now.

I consider that an oversight; do you? If I'm focusing on Project Foo, I should only see actions associated with Project Foo; OF is almost right but includes "actions" that have no project.

Thanks!

Jason.