The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus for Android [Very unlikely; certainly no plans in foreseeable future.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Apple gets substantial extra sales from reaching over the fence...
Aw c'mon, whpalmer4, you reckon QuickTime for Windoze was a big money maker huh? :rolleyes:

OK, maybe the OmniFolk are far too busy partying at Ken's Malibu beach house, but I reckon the company could do with spinning some more gold pronto, as they're always admitting they are under-resourced. If OF for PC was a hit, then maybe OmniOutliner 4 and OmniWeb 6 might actually happen. ;) Ditto OF for Android.

As there are more PC than Mac users with iDevices it just seems rather logical to cater for them, rather than selling them an App with no export facility.

Just a thought!

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-09-15 at 02:17 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
Aw c'mon, whpalmer4, you reckon QuickTime for Windoze was a big money maker huh? :rolleyes:
All by itself? Nah. I think it was a necessary part of the iPod/iTunes package, without which they wouldn't have made so much money.
Quote:
OK, maybe the OmniFolk are far too busy partying at Ken's Malibu beach house, but I reckon the company could do with spinning some more gold pronto, as they're always admitting they are under-resourced. If OF for PC was a hit, then maybe OmniOutliner 4 and OmniWeb 6 might actually happen. ;) Ditto OF for Android.

As there are more PC than Mac users with iDevices it just seems rather logical to cater for them, rather than selling them an App with no export facility.
Only makes sense to cater to them by building PC apps when you want to be in the business of building and selling PC apps. Or Android apps.

Not every fine cabinetmaker secretly dreams of mass-producing bookcases for IKEA, you know :)

Quote:
All by itself? Nah. I think it was a necessary part of the iPod/iTunes package, without which they wouldn't have made so much money.
Bah! You certainly won't win next year's Wizard of OF award if you start pontificating such rubbish! :p

OK, here's the history lesson. In 1992 Apple paid an indy port house to get QuickTime over to Windoze, that's almost a decade before the first ever non-video iPod. It wasn't until 2005 (13 years later) that any form of video capability was added to iTunes.

Quote:
Only makes sense to cater to them by building PC apps when you want to be in the business of building and selling PC apps. Or Android apps.
Apple itself began the process of enabling PC software to run on Macs as far back as the early nineties. Sure, for all I know Ken breaks out in hives at the mere sight of a PC. I wasn't saying that Omni should make a version of OmniFocus for Android or PC, just that it was logical, especially since DA's 'endorsement' of OF, which I'm guessing 80%+ of his fundi-GTD'ers won't ever have the joy of experiencing unless OmniFocus becomes available on other platforms.

Of course, you might merely be trying to port over to this thread the discussion about whether OF is actually a GTD program or merely a shopping list App on the iPhone...! :eek:

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-09-15 at 10:10 AM..

Thanks for the spam. Do you have anything to say that is relevant?

Please don't respond to spam; that just bumps the thread and gets it in front of more eyeballs. If you use the "report a post" function, we'll clean it up.

Now that Android phones are gradually taking over market share from iOS, are not vapourware any more & have a number of GTD apps available for them, will Omni reconsider porting the best GTD app to Android? I have Macs at home & an Android phone, because the hardware is way better than iPhone & the software is upgraded a lot faster, and I currently use GotToDo, synced with Google & ToodleDo online, but I'd like to be able to use my Omnifocus on my Macs with this existing ecosystem. If Omnifocus won't sync with Google or GotToDo or there's not an OmniFocus Android edition, that kind of rules OmniFocus out from being used even on my Mac: I'm more likely to use the ToodleDo web app in its place - but I like Omnifocus better.

I feel the same way.

I've decided to move from Iphone to Android -- and now sadly that means I have to give up omnifocus and find some new system that will work with my Android.

And I'm a devout of fan too

*Cry*

Sell your iPhone, buy an iPod Touch and tether it to your phone.

I'm a happy mac user who has an android phone (my second). I had a touch a long time ago. I bought an iPad only for Omnifocus. I would love to have a solution so that I could have my omnifocus action items in some web interface I could see on my android phone.
Since this thread began in 2008 I think a significant change has happened for android. If you can't give me a full on client, then synch to the web. Right now I'm getting it into my google calendar by synching with Spanning-Synch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickenden View Post
Right now I'm getting it into my google calendar by synching with Spanning-Synch.
While obviously still not ideal, that's a great workaround wickenden - cheers mate.