The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What do you do with your completed/dropped projects? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm just wondering if people that have been using OF for a while now find that they need to delete them. I'm keeping them right now but I'm clutter sensitive and even though I can view only active stuff most of the time, the desire to view active and on hold projects and actions together means I sometimes want to view all. I have a lot of projects on the go however, and I can see this rapidly getting out of hand so that the view all becomes totally useless to me unless I desire some sort of reminder that I occasionally do get a thing or two done (as a PhD student, it is sometimes useful to be reminded of that).

I was thinking of putting them on a far out review cycle once they are done of say a year or something and then deleting them outright when they come up for that review (now that I'm using the review feature and loving it! - thanks Curt, for the tips)

Cheers,
Shanana

I'm glad the reviews have been helpful.

I haven't completed or dropped enough projects yet that the old projects have become distracting. I don't tend to use the All Projects view much at all. I anticipate eventually creating a Completed Projects folder, marked inactive, and moving completed projects there. Then I'll be able to collapse the folder to hide the old stuff.

Curt

If you import from kGTD, it creates an inactive folder called "Archive" which is where I store all my OLD projects. As soon as it is too cluttered, I drop them into that folder.

That being said, completed projects usually have a lot of value in them in the Weekly Review.

BZ

I think it'd be useful to have a Preference to set so, say, any completed project can be deleted after X months (you set X).

Or perhaps that such completed projects could go to an "archive" where they would be held after X with a further option to autodelete archive items if desired after X time in the archive.

Under this system we would add an additional category to the active, on hold and completed states for things and this would mean that recently completed projects could be viewed during a monthly review for example without the interference of very old archive projects that you might what to look at only during very high level reviews.

As discussed elsewhere, I really think that the ability to view combos of these states would also be value added without over complicating.
Shanana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanana View Post
Or perhaps that such completed projects could go to an "archive" where they would be held after X with a further option to autodelete archive items if desired after X time in the archive.

Under this system we would add an additional category to the active, on hold and completed states for things and this would mean that recently completed projects could be viewed during a monthly review for example without the interference of very old archive projects that you might what to look at only during very high level reviews.

As discussed elsewhere, I really think that the ability to view combos of these states would also be value added without over complicating.
Shanana
I strongly second both of these, based on my experience (auto-archiving after a configurable elapsed time, and the ability to filter by combinations of more than one state).