The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sorting tasks while grouped Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
One of the most unexpected behaviours I'm seeing in OmniFocus right now is that the Sort drop-down has no effect in Context mode when the Group drop-down is set to anything but 'Ungrouped'.

Is this really the intended behaviour? It seems to me the most obvious behaviour would be for the Sort drop-down to control the sort order of the actions within the groups. So, for example, you could choose to see the actions listed by Due date within each of your projects. I would also expect an 'Unsorted' option on the Sort menu to allow actions to remain in their 'natural' order.

If the current behaviour really is desired, then I would suggest the Sort drop-down should disappear or become visibly disabled when an option is selected from the Group drop-down

What groupings are you using? I mostly group by due date in context mode, and the sort menu does have an effect there. But if I switch to group by project, the sort menu doesn't seem to do anything.

On the other hand, it's not clear to me what the sort is being applied to---projects or actions? I would assume actions since this is context mode, but ...

Anyway, it seems like a bug to me.

As I understand it, Sort applies to projects in Planning mode and actions in Context mode.

In Context mode, I primarily group by Project and then want to sort by due date. Definitely not working right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Yank View Post
In Context mode, I primarily group by Project and then want to sort by due date. Definitely not working right now.
In context mode, sorting has been broken for quite some time when you group by project. I reported the bug on September 8. It has been logged but you might want to send another report to Omni, just as a nudge.