The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help Creating Perspective for Projects with No Next Action Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am trying to create a perspective that shows me all projects where I have not created a Next Action. I'm stumped.

I don't know what all you want included, but the key is to have the View Bar Project Filter set to Stalled.

Thank you for the reply. I did that but while I have quite a few projects with no next action, selecting "Stalled" showed nothing. What exactly is the definition of Stalled?

You probably need Curt Clifton's 'Verify Next Actions Exist' script

http://www.curtclifton.net/projects/

Quote:
This script scans all projects and action groups in the front OmniFocus document and lets you know if any are missing a next action. I use it in my daily reviews to keep all my projects moving forward.

The search differs from OmniFocus’s Stalled Projects filter in two ways:

The script detects action groups with no next actions.

The script doesn’t worry about projects that have actions starting in the future.

To install, copy the script into the folder:

~/Library/Scripts/Applications/OmniFocus
creating the folder(s) if necessary. (To get to the Library folder in Lion, click on your desktop background, then hold down the option key while choose the Go → Library menu item.)

This script takes awhile to perform its analysis. As such, it uses Growl to display unobtrusive progress messages. So, you’ll need to download Growl to use this one.

Two separate script, included in the zip file, will clear the “Missing NA” suffix from selected items and, optionally, mark them as completed.
If you don't have growl, you might need to remove those bits of code.

I haven't used it for a while, but when I did it worked well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCleveland View Post
Thank you for the reply. I did that but while I have quite a few projects with no next action, selecting "Stalled" showed nothing. What exactly is the definition of Stalled?
A project is stalled when when you have no Next Actions in it.

That works exactly the way I wanted it to. Thank you for pointing it out to me.

what about filtering projects with no ACTIVE next actions?

you usually end up having a lot of projects that do have next actions, but no one of them is available to you (it has a start date in the future or has an on hold 'waiting for' context)

all those 'inactive' projects still show up in your planning mode, even if you have nothing to do or plan on them right now
that means, just adding clutter to the present moment

any idea?
also, does OF2 address that somehow?