The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Build 93002 requires cleanup Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Build 93002 requires cleanup. IMHO. Both literally and figuratively.

I quote from the Build 93002 MOTD: "October 18: Actions that don't match the filter settings now don't disappear until you do a Clean Up (?-K) or change the filter settings."

Maybe no one else is going to complain about this, but I am. Vehemently. At least--please!--give us an option in Preferences to override this.

I do not have time to be hitting CleanUp 50x a day. I want to set my filter to Remaining and watch Actions disappear instantly when I complete them. There is no bigger satisfaction in life. If I need to see what I've done, I can always reset the filter to All temporarily. I really don't understand why it was changed. It was beautiful and perfect and as it should be before today. I have not posted here in a week because I have been incredibly happy with OF; it has been running smoothly, perfectly, divinely for me.

I humbly beg you, OmniFocus Gods, to reconsider this design change, or at the very least, contemplate offering a Preference to toggle this behavior. Every other big PIM/to-do/project-based software that I know of offers this--as a few examples, iGTD, LifeBalance, and Bonsai, all three of which have major customer bases.

Thank you for your consideration.

--Sandy Santra

If you look in Ethan's original intro video, you'll see we had a preference for when to (automatically) clean up: immediately, after a minute, after 5 minutes, or manually.

We've always planned to bring this preference back, we just needed to get deferred clean up working at all first—which we've finally done in today's build. Now that that's done, we'll implement that preference again.

As a counterpoinrt to Sandy, sometimes I don't want to see my items disappear immediately, either because I accidentally clicked it, or because I like seeing a bunch of "scratched off" actions (which I find more appealing than having them disappear).

I'd probably have my preference set to "every five minutes"; it would be nice if "five" were variable in the option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santra View Post
I really don't understand why it was changed.
See this thread for a partial discussion of the issues, including why I and many others want this behavior: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=3570

Once the preference to autohide immediately is back, everyone should be happy.

I'm seeing what looks like a bug to me in the new behavior.

Create an action in an active context and project. Set its start date to today, its due date to today, and set it to repeat daily. Now go into context mode and sort and group by due, and set the filter to "Available". You should see your test action under today's group. Check the box to complete the action. For me, a new action shows up under tomorrow, when it shouldn't (it's not available yet , because its start date is tomorrow). Click "Clean Up" and the action disappears from tomorrow.

This seems like a bug, no?

I haven't played around much with this and repeating sequential actions and action groups yet, so maybe other bugs are lurking there.

If this kind of preference (with these options) was implemented, that would be amazing. I think those options are great, and the "immediately" option would of course make me very happy. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
[There was discussion of] a preference for when to (automatically) clean up: immediately, after a minute, after 5 minutes, or manually. We've always planned to bring this preference back, we just needed to get deferred clean up working at all first—which we've finally done in today's build. Now that that's done, we'll implement that preference again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
If you look in Ethan's original intro video, you'll see we had a preference for when to (automatically) clean up: immediately, after a minute, after 5 minutes, or manually.

We've always planned to bring this preference back, we just needed to get deferred clean up working at all first—which we've finally done in today's build. Now that that's done, we'll implement that preference again.
Apparently I spoke too soon: it's not quite as simple as I thought.

The old behavior was that all view filters were being immediately applied, which conveniently hid completed actions immediately but inconveniently also hid the row you were in the middle of editing if you edited a property of an action to some value that wouldn't be visible in the current view. This was problematic because you might not actually be done editing, and you didn't get a chance to confirm whether the value was what you intended or not; so, in general, we want to defer the application of those view filters until some later point (as we now do).

That means that we can't just add a preference to hide completed actions immediately, because we don't have code to do that; what we have is code to filter the entire list again, which would restore the old problem. So there's some design work to do here, both to decide exactly what the behavior should be (does it re-filter the entire view as soon as you complete an action, making all actions which don't match the current filter disappear?) and to figure out how we would implement it.

We're at the stage where we're trying very hard to avoid designing new features and to instead just ship what we already have. Which is why I now have to ask...

Is the current behavior something people can live with for version 1.0, or do you really need something different? If you need something different, can you elaborate on exactly what your needs are (i.e. why Command-K isn't a reasonable alternative) so we can figure out what might or might not work for you?

Every vote counts, so please weigh in if you have an opinion (either in this thread or by sending feedback or both). Thanks!

I could personally live with it .. somedays I like to see everything I crossed out .. other days I want it out of my face .. I think cmd-K works well .

I like the current behavior.

Curt

Ken--I like the current behavior too, if the preference can't easily be built back in. Thanks for the explanation!

Brian