The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Grouped Tasks become Projects on Cleanup and QE Save Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Often while I'm capturing in Quick Entry, or when I'm processing in the inbox, I'll group actions together. They're not always real actions, sometimes they are more like little mindmaps or notes that I'll sort out later on.

But, when I run Cleanup, any of these Groups that aren't assigned into a project become top-level projects and hide out in the bottom of my project list.

Usually this happens because of a habit I have - to regularly press Cmd-K while I'm processing, so the view cleans up and I can feel the progress I've made. If I hold off on Cleanup until I've assigned all groups in the inbox into projects, this doesn't happen.

So, an assumption is being made that I've indicated my intention for all the Groups in the Inbox, while it's quite possible that I haven't scrutinized everything in the Inbox yet - there may be some unprocessed Groups remaining.

It also happens if I Save or Cleanup while in the Quick Entry window - and to me, this is improper. The whole point of QE is to capture for subsequent processing, and I shouldn't be forced to choose or create a project in order to avoid the group winding up at the bottom of my project list. I regularly find myself dragging these projects back into my Inbox so I can process them there.

It's been said in other threads, Groups are not Projects, so let's not treat them as such. I agree with this, and on the other hand I can understand the rationale for this behavior too. Would it be possible to create a pair of preferences for this (one for Save from QE, and one for Cleanup)?

Last edited by fudster; 2008-01-30 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: improving the title

Are there no comments on this? Perhaps someone can acknowledge that they've observed the same thing, working as designed, etc.?

If I did a poor job of describing the scenario, please let me know and I'll rephrase it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudster View Post
Are there no comments on this? Perhaps someone can acknowledge that they've observed the same thing, working as designed, etc.?
Well, the only comment I can make is that I never try to create hierarchical structures (groups) in the Quick Entry window. The way I use it, the QE window is for quickly jotting down one or more points in a sequential fashion and clicking 'Save'.

It's when I look at my Inbox later that I actually process the QE items.

And more or less the same goes for my inbox: I first assign items to projects and only when they are in the project they belong to I might structure them further into action groups.

JP

Last edited by jpkunst; 2008-01-31 at 11:22 AM..

Hey jpkunst, thanks for your reply -

Same here, exactly, except that sometimes the points I jot are hierarchical. I find the Cmd-}, Cmd-{ and Alt-Cmd-L keyboard shortcuts make it very easy to do so.

Last edited by fudster; 2008-01-31 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: fixed spellling