The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

several contexts for one task Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please help me. How can i set several contexts for one task? it is very important

You cannot set more than one context per task as they are conceptualised to be unique "modes" in your work flow. But if you explain specifically why multiple contexts is important to you, it would be possible for others in the forum to share their thoughts on how your issues can be worked out.

For specific feature requests you need to send an email, for example by using the menu Help-> Send feedback in the program. I do suggest, however, that you try the above method first.

Good luck!

Ok, I will try to explain. For example I need to buy milk. I am writing task. Assign a context "outside the home". but I very often go to buy food at the weekend, and I have the context of the "weekend". I would have been easy to see immediately the context of "weekend" than to collect from various other contexts, a task for the weekend. and this problem permanently. before that I used the program "things", there was very comfortable with this

For me, I assign food items to an "Errands: Groceries" tag that I created. That way, regardless of the day of the week, if I find myself at or near a grocery store, I know what I need to buy.

I'd recommend a due date of Sunday or Monday on the "Buy Milk" action, which would then be assigned to a "grocery store" context.

I can see using a weekend context for things that could *only* be done on the weekend, versus things that *might* get done on the weekend.

That's one common thread I see in requests for tags - the intent is to make sure that an action is visible in all possible scenarios where it might possibly be relevant. That makes sense, but a list of things I may be able to do requires me to think and make more decisions when I look at it.

By contrast, OmniFocus tries to make sure that when you're looking at the list for a context, it's showing you the things that you couldn't get done any other way. Look at the list, do the things, move on to the next list.

OmniFocus wants to give you shorter lists that are more signal and less noise, in other words.

For work, I have this similar issue: I need to bring up the same item in two different meetings (one with a person face-to-face) and one with a group. It would be great to be able to sort by either context and find the one item. Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
By contrast, OmniFocus tries to make sure that when you're looking at the list for a context, it's showing you the things that you couldn't get done any other way. Look at the list, do the things, move on to the next list.
OmniFocus wants to give you shorter lists that are more signal and less noise, in other words.
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!!!

Yea, this one is difficult. I have the same problem when I need to discuss the same issue with two different people. The way I usually solve this problem is that I just assign the context that's further up in the hierarchy (doesn't work if they're not in same part of hierarchy). So if I'm going to two different meetings, I'll just assign the context as "meetings". I know this could get unwieldy if you have lots of meetings.

The other way to think about it is why you're bringing up the task/project in both meetings. Is it really for the exact same purpose? Does one for instance precede the other? Or do you use information from one for the other? In that case, they really are separate tasks.

That's obviously two tasks and should be handled that way.

I think your example is far from perfect. Sure you may be in the mood to do work, but if you don't have a phone available then you don't want to be presented with tasks that require a phone.

Having said that there are definitely situations where an action could have more than one context. As an example I have an action "Ask parents about labour weekend".
I can email them or phone them or ask them in person. Each one is equally valid.
But does it really matter? Sure if I put it in the Email context and I'm making phone calls I'll miss an opportunity to call them, but so what?
I'm feeling good about ticking actions off my Phone context and I'll get to my Email context later in the day or the next. I will get to my parents then. Does it really matter?
If it's critical that I call them 'now' then it will have a due date or be in my calendar and it won't matter what context it's in.