The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Graffle is Painfully Slow... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Have a new MBP (with 8GB of RAM) and I just can't use OmniGraffle. For some reason it runs really, really slow - especially if I try and move a simple object around. A group of objects take seconds to move from one place to another.

Here's the deets:

Product: OmniGrafflePro-5.2
Tag: OmniGraffle/5.2.3/final-138.17
Date: 2010-06-15 15:45:08 -0700
Builder: ryan
Host: tb105i.private.omnigroup.com
Revision: 133677

Any ideas? This is my favorite tool, and I have to believe something is just goofy on my side. But, not sure what to do.

TIA,
Kit

What else is running on your machine? Does this behavior persist if you restart the computer and don't launch anything else? Is Spotlight still doing its initial scan of all your files, or Time Machine doing a backup? Both of them can make a normally snappy machine pretty sluggish.

Yeh, I've killed everything, rebooted (shamefully). No change in the performance.

I'm starting to think it might just be a particular stencil or set. If I ungroup things, it gets noticeably better.

There is a known issue where grouped PDFs (that are placed as images) will slow down OmniGraffle considerably, can you point us at the stencil in particular so we can take a look at it?

There's much to be said for eliminating variables. Make yourself a new user account, log out of your current account and in to the test account. Don't install any additional stencils, don't copy over your preferences, just drag some shapes around and make sure the performance is what you expect. If it still isn't working satisfactorily, then it is time to break out Console and Activity Monitor and find out what your machine is doing. If it works well, then installing the stencil you were using might be the next step. Start from a stock setup (to the extent possible), verify it works, make one small change in the direction of your desired final setup, verify it works, etc. This has the added advantage that if you keep track of what you did along the way, your trouble report and test case pretty much are already constructed for submission to Omni, Apple, etc.

I think I've narrowed down the issue to this particular stencil:

http://graffletopia.com/stencils/524

Thanks for the help.