The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Perspective Dependent Badges Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It took me a bit to get used to seeing those red and orange badges. At first I didn't much like them, but then I started getting more done, so what the hey.

What I don't like though is seeing the badges of contexts that are not active in a given perspective window. It's a little unnerving to see a sign that there are things needing attention when there's no physical way for me to do them.

For example, I'm seeing the badges lit up for my "Home" perspective when I'm at work and working in the "Work" perspective.

Ironically, it's precisely because the badges serve as an effective nudge that I find this annoying -- it makes me want to do something, when it's I can't!

I would like to cast a vote in support of having the badge numbers change based on my perspective. I don't want to see my overdue items while I'm at home.

I concur.

The badges can be a) useful when they get your attention in an appropriate manner, and b) distracting when they get your attention in an inappropriate manner...

I also concur. Basically, it would be great if the badges matched the filter settings, so that you only get alerted to 'rocks falling' on our current road, not 'rocks falling' on some other road (to use Ethan's analagy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyleigh View Post
I also concur. Basically, it would be great if the badges matched the filter settings
Here I respectfully disagree. I think if the badges just apply to filter settings, then they aren't actually telling you anything you can't already see. Their usefulness, in my opinion, comes from alerting you to urgent things that are not in your current scope of viewing.

I also disagree with respect. I think the badges need to have an absolute truth to them. If their value is relative, then it means little as a warning / heads up. If I really want to hide their nastiness, I can close the sidebar.

I wouldn't want the badges to disappear when I filter something, e.g. flagged or due items, but I would want them to disappear when I focus on a folder such as home or work.

Thanks to Eronel.... I hadn't realized that the sidebar closes. Missed that entirely :)