The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Adding item with no context Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
When I add a new item with no context to a project using the iPhone app, the item seems to disappear. I can't find it in any project.

But when I sync, the item is visible on the desktop app.

How can I see items with no context on the iPhone?

Thanks,
Waleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmeleis@westernfog.com View Post
When I add a new item with no context to a project using the iPhone app, the item seems to disappear. I can't find it in any project.

But when I sync, the item is visible on the desktop app.

How can I see items with no context on the iPhone?

Thanks,
Waleed
If they have no context, the tasks are not "available." By default, in project view, it shows only items that are "available." Go to the OF for iPhone prefs screen, and under Projects, change it from "Remaining" to "Available" and there it will be.

you'll want to change it from Available to " remaining " to see those items.

remember that OF is largely based on the GTD methodology, so if you haven't assigned a context to it , you haven't made a decision yet to do it , so this is viewed as the task being " not available " to you .

these are some of the finer points of Omni Focus that can cause some " gotchas " until you get over the learning curve, and it definitely has a learning curve to it . To be fair , every powerful application I've ever used on any platform, had a learning curve to it.

It seems that the desktop app shows items with no context as available. I have a perspective that lists available items, and it does list items with no context.

Is this an inconsistency between the iPhone and desktop apps?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmeleis@westernfog.com View Post
It seems that the desktop app shows items with no context as available. I have a perspective that lists available items, and it does list items with no context.

Is this an inconsistency between the iPhone and desktop apps?

Thanks.
The desktop app shows items with no context as "available" only if you have selected the No Context or Inbox containers as part of your view. The view bar filter settings are ignored for the No Context and Inbox containers. The actions aren't actually styled as available, but they do appear in the view.

I take no position on whether this is an inconsistency, just clarifying the behavior...

Aha -- yes, now I understand. Thanks to everyone for the explanations.

By the way, this clearly demonstrates to me the need for some implementation of perspectives on the iPhone. This would be a very useful feature.

Thanks

We've got a feature request open on perspectives on the phone; interested parties should send an email to the support ninjas (from the settings screen in OmniFocus for iPhone) to let us know that they'd also like to see this added.

Additionally, let me know via Private Message if you'd like your forum account name changed - unfortunately, having your account name be an email address is likely to increase the amount of spam that account receives...

Guys,

I am an GTD Professional ;) using Outlook for yrs (sorry, forced to by my employer ;) looking and exploring the possibilities in the Mac world and planning my life as a future freelancer.

Started using OF on my iPhone to get used to the methodology.

I struggeld with one point.

- If I Create a new task without a project nor context assigned it is in the Inbox. OK, sounds reasonable.
- If I create a new taks with a context assigned only and NO project it is no longer in the Inbox. In the project view it is available under a than created "Miscellanious" Projekt and within the context view below the assigned context. Thats what I would expect.
- If I assign a project without assigning a context I can find it in the project view under the assigned project (Expected behaviour). However, it is not at all accessable under the context view/subviews at all.

This is _unexpected_.

I would assume a smartlist within the context view showing all task with no context assigned (like it is with Misc in the project view).

Why? The project view is for planning and the context list is for doing actions. However the task with no assigned context will NEVER pop up in the context section.

Is this intentional?

Would love to hear your topughts on that issue.

KR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaK View Post
Guys,

I am an GTD Professional ;) using Outlook for yrs (sorry, forced to by my employer ;) looking and exploring the possibilities in the Mac world and planning my life as a future freelancer.

Started using OF on my iPhone to get used to the methodology.

I struggeld with one point.

- If I Create a new task without a project nor context assigned it is in the Inbox. OK, sounds reasonable.
- If I create a new taks with a context assigned only and NO project it is no longer in the Inbox. In the project view it is available under a than created "Miscellanious" Projekt and within the context view below the assigned context. Thats what I would expect.
- If I assign a project without assigning a context I can find it in the project view under the assigned project (Expected behaviour). However, it is not at all accessable under the context view/subviews at all.

This is _unexpected_.

I would assume a smartlist within the context view showing all task with no context assigned (like it is with Misc in the project view).

Why? The project view is for planning and the context list is for doing actions. However the task with no assigned context will NEVER pop up in the context section.

Is this intentional?

Would love to hear your topughts on that issue.

KR

second that

- this "problem" is why I bother to reg in this forum.

How do I find tasks with no context without looking at every task in every project?

regards J