The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How do local notifications work in OF 1.7? [Similar to Push alerts] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Genius. Thanks. I wonder why this isn't in the UI? Just wondering.

Thanks

It will be. I guess they figured that it was better to get the feature out to those who wanted it right away (remember that the time between iOS4 being unveiled to the world and shipping the iOS4 compatible version was pretty short, and they are busy with a few projects these days!)

ok, maybe I'm an idiot, but...

when I "see this post": http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...1&postcount=12

and click on either of the links (while in safari), it opens whatever the current window is in OF. I don't see any mention of notifications there.

It is seriously annoying to have these pop-up messages on my iPhone. They work well on the mac with growl, but on the iPhone they are just a nuisance.

Did clicking the links in the above post really turn them off on the iPhone? did it leave them on on the mac?

If I may summarize: GRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesafoster View Post
ok, maybe I'm an idiot, but...

when I "see this post": http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...1&postcount=12

and click on either of the links (while in safari), it opens whatever the current window is in OF. I don't see any mention of notifications there.

It is seriously annoying to have these pop-up messages on my iPhone. They work well on the mac with growl, but on the iPhone they are just a nuisance.

Did clicking the links in the above post really turn them off on the iPhone? did it leave them on on the mac?

If I may summarize: GRRRRRR
Just checking: you opened the links in Safari on your iPhone, right?

The links when opened in Safari on your iPhone (which is what Brian meant by "on your device" in the linked post) just send commands to OF iPhone to enable or disable the notifications on your iPhone. They do not change anything with regard to notifications on your Mac. These sorts of links are the iPhone equivalent of 'defaults' commands in Terminal on the Mac—hidden voodoo for setting preferences that aren't exposed in the user interface. They are a pain, but better than nothing I suppose.

Ken has said that providing a user interface for changing notifications on the iPhone is a very high priority. They were pouring all their energy into OF iPad, but hopefully will be able to pivot back to some iPhone clean up once the iPad version is shipping.

Curt

Last edited by curt.clifton; 2010-07-28 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: Adding emphasis

Wow, what a mess. OF-team: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE - next time you implement ANY new functionality also contain it in the UI!

This really is bad policy, otherwise.

1) Don't force users into options they don't want to use.

2) And don't force users to crawl through forums searching for the one post with the solution. This should be a sticky at the top of the iphone forum and the solution should be in an explanatory introduction post by the team.

cheers.

I used the disable link, restarted the app, deleted OF from my 3GS, restarted the device and I am STILL getting the alert notifications! Now what?!

Last edited by DethByJazz; 2010-09-16 at 06:50 PM..