The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mac App Store Frequently Asked Questions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I appreciate OG's desire to maintain two separate sales channels for their customer's flexibility and maintain equivalent prices. I am guessing it also help's OG's profit margins overall in maintaining the two channels, and a profitable company is one that gives you more good stuff more often :) ( ahem... as in Apple)

However it is confusing to customers and as the MAS becomes more and more used, that confusion will ramp as people expect to see "installed" on legacy purchases and update options through the MAS. Perhaps OG could brand or Title the non MAS store products differently... At least that would make it more clear.

It would also be more complex for OG to manage though. At any rate i wish them luck with the strategy.

the part where you lose all the flexibility of the Omni store (upgrade and educational discounts, sneaky peeks, etc.) would be a substantial loss to both Omni and its customers

So I just bought OmniOutliner tonight from the App store, and with what you said about upgrade pricing, I think I made the wrong decision. Any way to reverse that? When you move to version 4, I'd rather not buy it all again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinplarson View Post
So I just bought OmniOutliner tonight from the App store, and with what you said about upgrade pricing, I think I made the wrong decision. Any way to reverse that? When you move to version 4, I'd rather not buy it all again.
Not to worry, you won't have to lay out any more cash:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...78&postcount=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldaron View Post
This is precisely how it should work, anything else just looks silly. Is there any logic to not following this example?
This would be a terrible outcome based on the current US Dollar / Australian Dollar exchange rate. Buying on the MAS would result in a significantly more expensive purchase due to Apple's policy with regards to currency hedging. I am glad that Omni are maintaining both purchasing options.

I'd prefer the flexibility of buying directly from you guys, but now with the Mac App Store, does the Omni direct license still legally prevent me from running the software on both my home and work machines at the same time?

Ken, our licenses support being installed on multiple macs. If you choose the "Personal" license option on your various Macs, you're all set. The licensing code does check the local network to make sure they aren't in use on too many machines at the same time, but they don't "phone home" to us.

I have OmniFocus version 1.8.2 installed on my MacBook, and unlike other applications available in the MAS, it is not recognized as installed. I notice, however, that OmniFocus for Mac is also version 1.8.2. Are there any significant differences between these two applications other than their names?

I also have OmniOutliner Professional version 3.9.5 installed. When I select "Check for updates..." it tells me that 3.9.5 is the most current version. Yet, there is an OmniOuliner Pro for Mac on MAS which has the version number 3.9.6. Are there any significant differences between these two applications other than their names and version numbers?

Can I expect some future alignment in which MAS recognizes my installed versions of Omni Group products?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussar View Post

Can I expect some future alignment in which MAS recognizes my installed versions of Omni Group products?
No, you cannot. Note the App Store cannot (and likely never will) be able to update apps that were installed outside of the App Store. So it's open to interpretation whether it is showing these as "Installed" is actually a bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussar View Post
I also have OmniOutliner Professional version 3.9.5 installed. When I select "Check for updates..." it tells me that 3.9.5 is the most current version. Yet, there is an OmniOuliner Pro for Mac on MAS which has the version number 3.9.6. Are there any significant differences between these two applications other than their names and version numbers?
Sorry for the confusion this caused! There are differences, but no bug fixes or new features. OmniOutliner 3.9.6 only contains the specific changes that were necessary to get the app approved for sale on the Mac App Store. (Dropping support for OS 10.5 and earlier, for example.)

We're going to attempt to keep the version numbers aligned as much as possible, but the two may be out of sync on occasion. We didn't want to ask folks to download a new version if the only relevant change was the version number.

(Great question - I'll add this to the FAQ.)