The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

A plea for activating the <enter> key Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there,

just a half-baked feature request: Omni "ought to do something" with the <enter> key (as opposed to the <return> key), pressing which seems to have no effect at all at present.

For instance, one might use it to send off entries from the quick entry panel, basically assigning to <enter> the meaning of two <return>s in sequence. This would also come handy when entering new tasks while planning a project.

So <enter> --> complete entry in the highlighted field and save record.

What do y'all think?

Best regards,

Klaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckes View Post
So <enter> --> complete entry in the highlighted field and save record.

What do y'all think?
In OmniOutliner, the enter key toggles editing of the note field. In OF that sort of works. If you have a row selected and are not already editing the item title, then enter opens the note for editing. But in OmniOutliner the enter key switches to note editing even if you are already editing the item title. I would like to see OF work the same way, including in the quick entry bezel. (I submitted a feature request for that behavior several weeks back and was told that it was planned.)

Curt

Seconded, for consistency between the Omni apps.

But let us have something like <cmd>+<return> for a quick way out of the "quick" entry panel.

Klaus

Quote:
But let us have something like <cmd>+<return> for a quick way out of the "quick" entry panel.

Just in case you missed this, you already have Cmd-S.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Just in case you missed this, you already have Cmd-S.
So I do, but this does not work when entering new actions in the projects or context views. You still need to hit <return> several times. I would like to see a shortcut here, and for it to be the same shortcut as in the quick entry panel.

Quote:
So I do, but this does not work when entering new actions in the projects or context views. You still need to hit <return> several times. I would like to see a shortcut here, and for it to be the same shortcut as in the quick entry panel.
I don't get the "several" bit. The most I can come up with is hitting <return> twice--once to select a proposed context quick-pick and again to leave editing mode. The first <return> keypress confirms the quick-pick. After the quick-pick, editing mode for the item remains active so one can tab to the next cell. Also note, that you can press <esc> at any time to leave editing mode, as in OmniOutliner. So you already have a one keypress way to leave editing mode.

Of course, <esc> is the key to cancel the QuickEntry bezel, which is a problem.

It seems that the issue comes down to this. In QuickEntry, a new item behaves exactly like in OF proper. But once you leave editing mode within QE, then the bezel behaves like a standard dialog with <return> for confirm and <esc> for cancel. So an inadvertent extra press of <esc> can toss out your new action. (This behavior can be changed with preferences. Perhaps its safest to turn off the esc-to-cancel preference. I think it is off by default.)

Curt

I have a strong habit of pressing the Enter key to commit a change to a field value in a Web form or FileMaker database. I cannot seem brake this habit in OmniFocus. For example,

1. In Project view, create a new item or select a field in an existing item.
2. Fill in (or modify) the field value (tabbing from field to field in a new item).
3. Press Enter to commit my editing.
4. Wait a moment - nothing happens.
5. Press Return to commit my editing.

If I'm doing several edits at the same time, I may remember to use the Return key. But when I switch to OmniFocus from doing something else, my right hand automatically reverts to the Enter key to commit an edit.

I considered creating a OmniFocus-specific keyboard shortcut in QuicKeys to convert an Enter into a Return. However, I expect that would mess up somewhere else where the distinction between Enter and Return is important.

[submitted as formal feedback]