The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Next Actions and Reordering Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am not sure what I'm missing here. I have OF for iPad, iphone and on the Mac.

On the Mac and on the iPhone, reordering of tasks within a project just works. When I sync one device, the other device reflects the change.

With the iPad, however, this does not happen. When I view only the next actions, I see that it is that which was assigned to be the next action. However, when I view it as Remaining actions, the real next action is somewhere else on the list and not on the top most position. I don't know how the whole list is sorted.

A bug?
Or am I missing a setting?

More info: I played around it some more, I see that this is happening only in a project with sub-projects within it.

Other projects appear to be fine with reordering and reassigning Next Actions.

Bug?

Welcome to the forums, esant, and sorry for the confusion! It's possible that this is a bug, but it's hard to tell from the description in your posts. Would it be possible for you to email a couple of screenshots to our support ninjas so we can investigate this with you?

You can take a screenshot on the Mac by pressing command-shift-4, which will give you a selection cursor. Tap your Space key, click on the window you want to capture, and when you release the mouse the image will be saved to your desktop as 'Picture 1', 'Picture 2', etc.

On your iPad, hold down the Home button, and then briefly press the Power button on the top of the device. (With the screen you want to take a picture of visible, of course.)

Your screen will flash white - this means that the screenshot was added to your photo roll. You can now use the camera application on your phone to email the photo to yourself.

You can then drag the images to an email message and send them to us. We should be able to use the information they contain to try and figure out what's going on here.

It's worth remembering that the Next Action is not necessarily the uppermost action in the project, but rather the uppermost Available action in the project.

Also, the way that action groups (what you are calling sub-projects) are shown differs from project mode to context mode. In project mode, the parent precedes the children, but in context mode, the parent follows the children. The parent becomes Available only when all of the children are completed.

There's an option to control whether or not parents (which include projects as well as action groups, btw) are shown in the context mode displays. The UI for setting this option is only present in the Mac application, at the bottom of the Data preferences (the value gets carried to the other devices by syncing). It is possible that you may prefer a different setting...

Thanks for the responses, guys.

After I wrote the post, I subdivided the main project into individual projects with single actions underneath - thinking that it may work better this way. And it does work as I expected.

Now that support is asking for a screenshot, I am trying to reproduce it by recreating a "main project" with "sub-projects" (or action groups) underneath and I can't (reproduce it). I do not know what happened but it seems to be working fine now. (Sorry to waste your time...)

Will report back if I encounter it again.