The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

$40? Seriously? [OmniFocus for iPad Pricing Feedback] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasgo View Post
OmniFocus on the iPad for $40 is still a better deal than Things on the Mac for $60. Better software for less money.
Actually it's $49.95 for Things for Mac. However, the point is well taken. OF for iPad has more features and functionality than Things for Mac . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasgo View Post
OmniFocus on the iPad for $40 is still a better deal than Things on the Mac for $60. Better software for less money.
Lets compare same platforms!!! Things for iPad is half the price of OmniFocus iPad. Things for Mac may be $60 but OmniFocus is $80.

I agree with other posters that this could have been price a lot more competitively especially for the iPad.

At work I use my Mac Pro / Macbook and on the road I rather use my iPhone. Anyone with a Wifi iPad like me will most likely be in a location such as home/work with a computer with the desktop version. On the road I have my iPhone to sync. Not sure if paying for a third version on iPad is really worth $40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiporeilly View Post
Lets compare same platforms!!! Things for iPad is half the price of OmniFocus iPad. Things for Mac may be $60 but OmniFocus is $80.

I agree with other posters that this could have been price a lot more competitively especially for the iPad.

At work I use my Mac Pro / Macbook and on the road I rather use my iPhone. Anyone with a Wifi iPad like me will most likely be in a location such as home/work with a computer with the desktop version. On the road I have my iPhone to sync. Not sure if paying for a third version on iPad is really worth $40.
I think you missed our points. What we are saying, OF for Ipad is a superior product than Things for Mac at a higher price point.

If you want to get Things for iPad at a half price point, go ahead. You will find you can't really use the program for an extended period time w/o getting frustrated due to missing features or lack of functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
I think you missed our points. What we are saying, OF for Ipad is a superior product than Things for Mac at a higher price point.

If you want to get Things for iPad at a half price point, go ahead. You will find you can't really use the program for an extended period time w/o getting frustrated due to missing features or lack of functionality.
Still though $40 on top of what the majority of customers have already paid for the desktop version and iPhone is a bit much.

Price is an issue for this product. Most reviews / posts online so far today seems to be focusing on the price (either saying its too much or trying to talk up the apps value for the price).

I have absolutely no complaints about the price tag on this particular app. For me, the price reflects the quality....and I'm glad that Omni didn't set too low a price. That would signal, to me, the desire to sell as many as possible, thus shifting the focus from quality to "How much money can we make off of this thing?"

When I buy something from Omni, I am not only paying for the actual product, I am also "purchasing" the incredible and ongoing support behind said product. You simply cannot say the same for the majority of apps sold...once they are bought, you are often left "hanging" if you run into any problems....or if you simply have a question regarding proper use. One might need quite a bit of "support", if one is really interested in using OF in every conceivable way, in order to gain max benefits in the practice of "GTD".

With OF on my iPad, I can now "release" any residual guilt I've held, for
spending so much money on a device that is all too easy to use in a "frivolous" manner. No matter how many apps I have bought ( and believe me, it is plenty), none come even close to providing actual functionality when compared to OF.

Thanks OG- lovin' my OF for iPad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiporeilly View Post
Still though $40 on top of what the majority of customers have already paid for the desktop version and iPhone is a bit much.

Price is an issue for this product. Most reviews / posts online so far today seems to be focusing on the price (either saying its too much or trying to talk up the apps value for the price).
Price is always a point. My point is that the quality of the software isn't lower, simply because it's on the iPad. If this were Mac software, it would be considered an exceptionally good value. That doesn't change just because of the platform.

Things for iPad isn't as good as OmniFocus for iPad, and as previously mention, neither is Things for Mac. Especially given the complete lack of transparency with almost every promised feature or bug fix. While it certainly is an added costs for people who've already bought the Mac or iPhone version, you don't need the iPad version for the Mac and iPhone versions to work, nor do you need the Mac or iPhone versions for OmniFocus for iPad to work.

My hands aren't clean, I had a cow at the price theyncharged for the iPod version. Over time I saw how it kept me on track. I've made much more than I paid thanks to that app. When this version came out, I didn't think twice and just bought it. This is the best version yet. As I was told buy it yes or buy it no, but don't btch. I paid full price because it is a he value to me. If you want a toy, buy one, but if you need the best, buy OF for the iPad..

Last edited by Brian; 2010-07-30 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: edit one word to make post pg-13

I am still not understanding...when we decided to purchase an iPad, we purchased a different "platform". Why so much expectation of the purchase price reflecting OF as a "universal application"? It is what it is. I didn't get a real "break" on pricing when I bought "Pages" for my iPad, although I have the iWorks suite on 2 separate MBP. I didn't expect to, either.

I've purchased ToDo (by Appigo) for the iPhone and iPad. I have the Toodledo app for the iPhone and iPad. I have Things for the iPad, iPhone and Mac. I have Pocket Informant for the iPad and iPhone. I sync the different versions of ToDo and Pocket Informant (and, of course, the Toodledo apps) with Toodledo Pro Plus. When I was on the PC, I bought the Outlook Plugin from David Allen's company, and that really didn't work for me at all.

(I want to say that some of the above apps have many strong positives going for them, and even some advantages over OmniFocus. On balance, though, for my GTD'ing needs, there's just no match for OmniFocus, and, as of today, the ring is solid.)

I tried switching away from OmniFocus after getting the iPad, because I wasn't terribly fond of using OmniFocus for iPhone on my iPad. For me, the new app is easily worth $40.00 (yes, in addition to the cost of the iPhone and Mac editions, which, for me, were also worth it). The most expensive thing about OmniFocus for iPad for me was how long it took for it to arrive--add up the price of all of the items in the first paragraph, and you'll get what I mean (not to mention the time spent messing with the other apps, and now having to copy much of that back over to OmniFocus again).

As of today, I now have my OmniFoci syncing through the Omni Sync Server beta. I'm very happy. $40.00, for me anyway, is a no-brainer here.

(I'm not arguing with those who feel otherwise, I'm just stating how it is for me.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTD View Post

I tried switching away from OmniFocus after getting the iPad, because I wasn't terribly fond of using OmniFocus for iPhone on my iPad. For me, the new app is easily worth $40.00 (yes, in addition to the cost of the iPhone and Mac editions, which, for me, were also worth it). The most expensive thing about OmniFocus for iPad for me was how long it took for it to arrive--add up the price of all of the items in the first paragraph, and you'll get what I mean (not to mention the time spent messing with the other apps, and now having to copy much of that back over to OmniFocus again).

As of today, I now have my OmniFoci syncing through the Omni Sync Server beta. I'm very happy. $40.00, for me anyway, is a no-brainer here.

(I'm not arguing with those who feel otherwise, I'm just stating how it is for me.)

Oh my, YES!! The amount of money I've spent purchasing various "task managers" while waiting for the appearance of OF for iPad.....it has been a "costly" few months, to say the least!