The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOLVED: Omni Focus loses data? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have sent 2 emails to support without a reply (other than automated one)

So far twice I have received the following error when opening Omni Focus.
I am using the latest version of 1.1

Unable to back up database.
Unable to copy database to “file://localhost/Users/dfxinc/Documents/OmniFocus%20Backups/OmniFocus%202008-08-12%20162945.ofocus-backup”

The file “OmniFocus” does not exist.

Why does this happen??

Do you then actually lose your data? Or does that instance of the back-up just fail?

Also, do you have any unusual permissions settings for your user directory or subdirectories?

Curt

How do I relink the data? and why do I need to?

no unusual permissions
mac osx10.5.4

I just get this error whenever restarting Omni Focus:
The file “OmniFocus” does not exist.

If I select "REVERT TO DATABASE BACKUP" I get:

The operation could not be completed.
No other information is available about the problem.

The only way I can get my data back is to resync with my .mac account (Mobile Me) which has the data as well.

This is very frustrating, I have spent the majority of my trial period dealing with this rather than learning the app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfx View Post
I have sent 2 emails to support without a reply (other than automated one)
We're very sorry for the delay! We're still seeing thousands of new customers each week, so we're still working very hard to catch up (with volunteers from every department pitching in) while simultaneously trying to hire some new people to help out.

For an urgent problem like this, I would invite you to contact urgent@omnigroup.com (as the OmniFocus auto-responder suggests) if you haven't already: those requests go to the top of our support queue, so you should hear back from us within a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Do you then actually lose your data? Or does that instance of the back-up just fail?

Also, do you have any unusual permissions settings for your user directory or subdirectories?
He makes a valid point...Why should he need to? I have ran into the same problems...lose data every time there is a new upgrade. So much for being organized when I spend a majority of my time re-entering my database

Yes the problem seems to happen every time there is a new update....very frustrating.

I only have 5 days left on my trial, any chance that I can get support before it runs out. I already tried the Urgent email address?

If you open the following directory on your hard disk:

~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/

what files are inside it?

(Note: the tilde ~ indicates your home directory.)

Last edited by brianogilvie; 2008-08-15 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: Added explanation of tilde for those unfamiliar with Unix

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
If you open the following directory on your hard disk:

~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/

what files are inside it?

(Note: the tilde ~ indicates your home directory.)
OmniFocus.ofocus
OmniFocus.ofocus.lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfx View Post
OmniFocus.ofocus
OmniFocus.ofocus.lock
OK, it looks like your OmniFocus file is there, as is the lockfile (which tells another instance of OmniFocus not to edit the file, to avoid conflicts).

1. If you quit OmniFocus, is the OmniFocus.ofocus.lock file still there? If so, delete it and try restarting.

2. With OmniFocus open, what happens if you manually choose Back Up Database... from the File menu? If it opens a dialogue, can you save the backup to your Desktop (or some folder besides the default ~/Documents/OmniFocus Backups folder)?

3. If you can make a backup of your current database, then quit OmniFocus, drag the file(s) and folder(s) in ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/ and the file ~/Library/Prerences/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist to the desktop, restart OmniFocus (which should recreate the default file and preferences), and then choose File > Restore from Backup... and then restore using the file you created in step #2.

Step 3 should essentially result in a new database, without your preferences and Perspectives, followed by replacing that database with the backup. You'll have to re-enter all your preferences, and resync with the iDisk. When you resync, you'll be prompted as to whether to use the local copy or the server copy of the database: if the preceding steps have all worked, and the newly restored database is the one you want, then choose local copy.

Disclaimer: I don't work for the Omni Group, I don't know what goes on under the hood, and I back up religiously. I'm providing these tips to give you a hand until Omni's tech support ninjas can get back to you, so please don't blame me if you lose data! But unless there is some deeper problem with your hardware or software, these steps should produce a working database. If you still have to re-enter all your tasks after each new version, then you might want to get your computer checked out.

Last edited by brianogilvie; 2008-08-17 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: fixed a typo