The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dynamic References Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Edit: Hrm. I suppose what I am asking after is the ability to alias a document location? I'm not sure if the concept of alias-ing would include dynamic updating <.<

My apologies if this question has been asked and answered. If it has, I am unfamiliar with the sort of terms to search for.

Throughout my document, I reference other parts of the document that are related, or state something that I do no want to restate.

As I will be sharing my document in a non OO format, I am not looking for the ability to link/move to another part of a document. Although if that feature is implemented in OO4 - I have a major suggestion: Allow for intra-document links to open their targets in a new window/section, if the user desires - be it a horizontal or vertical split view - or a whole new window. I would absolutely want to be able to see both sections at once, and would be frustrated when trying to return, even if there was a back button. I feel that having to reorient would be a poor and avoidable user experience. The avoidable part would make the whole thing more frustrating o/0

My request is simply about referencing another part of the document.

Currently I am using simple text like: Please see § II.A.5.

However, if I decide to add a new Section above A, the previously mentioned section becomes § II.B.5 - and every instance of the simple text reference is wrong. I could use find and replace to go about changing them all quickly, but as the document grows - this becomes clunkier, and mass changing becomes more dangerous.

Ultimately, I would have to carefully proofread and make sure every reference is in fact correct. Probably should do that anyway <.< but not the point!

I imagine that what I am asking after would require a unique identifier for every section, distinct from the dynamic row numbering system. Does such an identifier exist? Is the feature I am wanting after implementable presently?

Last edited by dehmosthrynne; 2010-10-27 at 04:04 PM..