The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The OmniFocus Pre-Sale has begun! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by keone View Post
Well, here's a novel idea to those of you going on ad nauseam about the price: You don't like the way OF is priced? DON'T BUY IT!
I agree, but have to admit that I, too, was at first shocked about the price tag. Reason being: iGTD which worked quite well for me in the past and is donationware. So seeing a $80 price for “just another GTD app” seemed somewhat untowards.

After working with OF for a couple of days, though, I paid my $40 without a second thought. And today, two weeks later, I think I would have bought it for $80, too. So I now see it as a very nice discount. Kudos to Omni for the pricing!

Cheers,
-Sascha

P. S. It’s hard to put a price tag on something like “productivity”. How much worth is peace of mind? How much those couple of minutes you save every day because of a robust planning system?

I remember my first reaction at learning that OmniWeb was actually sold and not given away for free. It was much the same as with OF, but there, too, I came to the same conclusion … -.rb

I have kept coming back to this wondering if I should buy the app.

At the moment I am using Circus Ponies Notebook syncing to my iPod for GTD. Notebook pages are set up sorted by date then context. new projects get their own page with a link to the Next Actions page. There are other pages for Waiting For items and long term goals. I can search for incomplete items within a certain context and print them off.

I have also got iGTD sitting in the background as well as Actiontastic and Park hoping that one of them would give me the answer that I wanted.

The killer for me is that I use PCs at work, locked down so I can't install anything and there are a lot of sites that can't be visited, e.g. GoogleMail. I need to be able to look at my GTD system without having to cart the Powerbook around with me and at the moment I don't think there is a way of doing this outside the Wiki world.

What I do know is that OF is not going to give me the answer that I want at this or any price. If I do buy it as a standalone app I can't guarantee that I will ever use it.

I am going to take Keone's advice and not buy the app. Perhaps come early Jan I will buckle, but I would rather put the money towards the currently invisible Actionatr.

I have had OmniGraffle for a good couple of years now and the output has really impressed my Windoze colleagues at work so I know that Omni can turn out some good stuff at a reasonable price. At $80 OF wont fly out of the door IMHO.

Is there going to be a manual written before the release?

There should be a PDF manual available at about the same time as the final release. I don't know if any drafts of it will be available before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
Did you actually mention OmniFocus 2.0?

It has taken a YEAR to get into BETA for OF 1.0, OmniFocus 2.0 could be 1-2 years away.

I will say this, OmniGroup does not update their apps that often (full releases) and when they do they are ALWAYS worth it.

BZ
I got a chuckle out of this blast from the past, which I stumbled across while searching for something else. The poster BZ is answering was concerned that the intro price was too dear, considering that his computer couldn't run Leopard, and OF 2.0 was going to require Leopard. The original was dated in 2007, and Ken mentioned within the last few days that OF 2.0 is not imminent. While OF is still missing some of the originally promised 2.0 functionality, the cost per day has turned out to be very low, and a lot of substantial free new features have been delivered while we've been waiting on OF 2.0! There always seem to be some complaints about the pricing when a new app or version rolls out, but over the fullness of time, they've all turned out to provide good value (for me, at least).