The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

can't move pre-existing project in to pre-existing folder Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Okay, I'm at a loss. I've not been using Omnifocus consistently and I had some ideas for rearrangement to make it more usable for my needs. That involves some changes in how I am using folders. The problem is I've spent over an hour trying various ways to move a current project from where it was to the folder I want it be in with no luck. I've tried finding something on here about it but no luck. Simply dragging the project into the folder fails, it's just gets dumped at the top level. Can't seem to find a trick to do it on my iPhone either. So at this point it seems I am stuck with having to completely delete projects and recreating them and all the tasks in the folder. Tell me this isn't necessary. A huge failure for a program gui on a mouse system or a touch system if this is true. It seems incredibly dumb that drag and drop doesn't work.

It does work. You drag and drop projects and folders in the sidebar, not the main window. Described in the help for "Organizing projects into folders" which is among the choices offered up if you type "folder" into the Help search.

On the iPhone, to move projects and folders around, go to the Projects view. Tap the Edit button, then the item you wish to move. At the bottom right corner of the screen you'll see a little file folder with an arrow pointing downward on it; tap that. Now choose the spot in the hierarchy you would like to move it inside. If you don't have to make a level change, but just want to move something around at the current level, after tapping the edit button in the Projects view, use the drag handles on the right to drag and drop it in the desired spot. Tap the Done button when done.

Thanks. The iPhone instructions worked. I was forgetting about the bar at the bottom.

As far OF on the Mac. Doesn't work. I appear to already be in the sidebar as going to the sidebar doesn't change anything. The instructions you mentioned don't help. I just saw there is a small indentation on the left, and realized the sidebar was hidden. I hate software that's not forgiving enough that you have to struggle with it every time you haven't used some feature in a while.

Perhaps watching it happen will help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip OmniFocusScreenSnapz001.mov.zip (76.1 KB, 1026 views)