The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I wish I could use OmniFocus, but I can't. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

I am currently evaluating new to-do tools and for numerous reasons at different workplaces I am using either Windows system or a Mac running Snow Leopard and an iPhone when on the run.

I really really like the OmniFocus Mac programm but the syncing options are not so great in my opinion.

My goals for syncing are the following:
- Automatic sync with very short time delay: I want to run out from work and look at my call list in the cab immediately afterwards. While I run out I probably forget to sync so syncing needs to be automatic and quasi real-time. Syncing intervals of an hour are way too much. An update time of a minute or two is ok but anything else becomes tedious. Also, everything else seems long compared to Blackberry/Exchange.
- Be able to use ToDos both within OS X and within Windows.
- Ideal would be a full-fledged OmniFocus Windows client that can sync to WebDav/MobileMe.
- An alternative to a fat Windows client would be a fully usable web-client. (The iPhone app is great for reading to dos but inputing is a lot quicker using a full keyboard)
- Yet again an alternative would be somekind of exchange integration where the tasks end up in the Outlook task list. Categories within Outlook could be used for contexts, the hierachy of projects within the title of the task. Not pretty but usable.
- If Omni has decided against both a full web-client and a Windows client, thats where the "ugly" fixing alternatives start. A test with Things for example works fine syncing Things to iCal and iCal to an Exchange server. Not pretty, but again it works.

I have just spend a few hours evaluating OmniFocus and while I definitely find it to be the best, most usable and most feature-rich tool that I have seen for personal task management, I will not be able to use it due to the outlined syncing restrictions. I took the time to give you this feedback hoping that a new version will allow me to switch to OmniFocus.

P.S. Please let me know, if I missed a way to do what I have outlined that I missed during my test.
P.P.S. If possible, please add me to a new version email list

Last edited by Flo; 2010-11-11 at 01:50 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo View Post
- Automatic sync with very short time delay: I want to run out from work and look at my call list in the cab immediately afterwards. While I run out I probably forget to sync so syncing needs to be automatic and quasi real-time. Syncing intervals of an hour are way too much. An update time of a minute or two is ok but anything else becomes tedious. Also, everything else seems long compared to Blackberry/Exchange.
Flo, thanks for posting! I am going to move your post into it's own thread, though, because it's a little bit off the main topic of this one.

Also wanted to mention that the hour long sync times only kick in when the device has no outstanding changes. If there have been any changes, the app will sync 1 minute after the mouse or keyboard stop providing input. I think that covers the use case you mention above. (The app also syncs on quit.)

We are investigating ways we can make OmniFocus accessible to folks on non-Apple platforms, but we don't have anything to announce at this time...

P.S. - I tried to pick a title that captured the spirit of your post, but if there's a different thread/post title you would prefer, let me know and I'm happy to change it for you.

Worth noting that it is possible to configure OmniFocus to sync very shortly after a change is made.

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...34&postcount=2

I work in a primarily Windows based office and use Omnifocus for the iPad when I am at the office. I purchased the iPad at launch once I saw Omni was developing the iPad version. It is a great way to survive while away from my Mac in the Windows world.