The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Decouple Effort and Duration? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jep
Please add my vote as well!
You got it! :-)

The ability to decouple Effort/Duration is absolutely essential for my business as well. Planning/working on multiple projects calls for the ability to say I need to plan 14 hours of work over 4 days, instead of a day and a half.

You can count my vote in for this ability too please ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeloquin
The ability to decouple Effort/Duration is absolutely essential for my business as well. Planning/working on multiple projects calls for the ability to say I need to plan 14 hours of work over 4 days, instead of a day and a half.

You can count my vote in for this ability too please ;)
Added for you too. ;-)

I'd like to vote for this feature too.

Votes added. :-)

I have been doing this manually to some extent, playing around with the % for assignment. One thing I noticed is that if you manually change the duration, it assumes you want to change the effort accordingly but keep the assignments the same.

One potential solution would be to allow that behaviour to change, so that you could set the duration and effort, and it would proportionally alter the assignments for the committed resources.

It would be nice to be able to assign specific hours to individual resources, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfportaluser View Post
I'd like to create a task that takes two weeks and then assign resources with their own hours. Percentages make it harder. Have to calculate in my head and trial and error.
Please add my vote as well. This is a most frustrating deficiency in Omniplan

Votes added.

There seems like lots of ways to fuss with this but I just want to tell it 4 hours of effort, 1 week.

I work at a consulting firm and have purchased the entire suite of Omni products. I want to use OmniPlan to schedule projects and manage their budgets (all of which have to do with the billable time of consultants). As a previous post states, I need to be able to indicate that a task should take 4 hours over the course of a week. Extremely frustrating! Given the way work happens, people work on multiple projects and rarely spend, for example, a whole week dedicated to one project. We had been planning on purchasing more licenses for OmniPlan, and will definitely put this on hold. In fact, I had had a favorable impression of Omni products; the thinking behind the software seemed to match the way I think about how to do a task (OmniOutliner, for example). But I must say I am going to put a hold on the purchase of all other Omni software until I understand the ins and outs of the products. This sucks! I don't want to do some weird workaround with percentages. I would not have bought the program had I known this. When are you going to fix this problem of conflating duration and effort?