The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Where is Omnifocus and synching with iCal Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
1. I had downloaded at trialversion of Omnifocus yesterday and today it's gone? Where is it? I should have been able to try it for 2 weeks!

2. When trying to synch with iCal I had to drag "office" or "errands", etc. to my iCal-calendars. But when I drag one item it was gone and not useable for another calendar! I have more calendars that should be connected with office not only one! What did I do wrong?

Please help! I'm interested to buy, but if it doesn't do what I want, it's not sensible!

I find the whole thing rather complicated, but maybe I'm too stupid!

Probably what happened is you downloaded the disk image file, your browser opened it automatically, and you ran the application from there without dragging it to your Applications folder first. Shut down or log out or simply unmount the disk image, and suddenly it's gone!

If you do a Spotlight search for OmniFocus you should find the disk image file again (it will have a .dmg extension). Double-click on it, drag the app to the Applications folder, and launch it from there to avoid this problem in the future.

The calendar/context mapping is a one-to-one deal. Why would you want the same item to show up in multiple calendars? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to accomplish...can you provide a more detailed example?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Why would you want the same item to show up in multiple calendars?
You can't do that anyway, as iCal items can only belong to one calendar. This is an iCal limitation, not an OF one.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBerry View Post
You can't do that anyway, as iCal items can only belong to one calendar. This is an iCal limitation, not an OF one.
Sure, any given item can only be in one calendar, but there's nothing stopping OmniFocus from creating identical iCal items in separate calendars, is there? This iCal business ought to be especially fun to implement and document if multiple context support enters the scene!

Quote:
Sure, any given item can only be in one calendar, but there's nothing stopping OmniFocus from creating identical iCal items in separate calendars, is there?
Well, other than the question; "if the user's edited one copy of the item in iCal, marked another complete, and deleted a third, which version does Omnifocus sync with?", no, nothing to stop it! Even if he only touched one copy, you'd still have the issue! Each "copy" in iCal would be completely separate and unrelated because iCal doesn't relate them, so I think it'd be impossible for OF to keep track.

I can just imagine a help file entry saying "if you make changes to one copy of the synced iCal todo, you must make EXACTLY the same changes to ALL copies, every time you do anything"!

I guess maybe it'd be possible to sync only the most recently changed version back to OF, and then sync that back out to the other copies, but then you'd lose any earlier changes you made to other copies, unless the whole process went from todo 1 to OF to todo 2 at lightening speed, before you had any chance to edit todo 2!

Quote:
This iCal business ought to be especially fun to implement and document if multiple context support enters the scene!
Quite!

I guess you'd have to do what all other apps that support multiple categories of one type or another (Daylite, Missing sync for WM etc etc) do, and choose just one of the categories to sync.

Or, pester Apple to support multiple calendars per item, which I don't think will happen.

Mark

Last edited by MacBerry; 2008-09-25 at 01:07 PM..

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting it was anything resembling a good idea, just that it wasn't impossible to implement :-)