The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ungrouping multiple groups? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In Omnigraffle, Command-clicking selects multiple groups.

However, there doesn't appear to be an option to *ungroup* the selected multiple groups. The "Group/Ungroup" icon in the toolbar doesn't change to "Ungroup" when more than one group is selected.

It appears that the only way to ungroup multiple groups is to select each group individually, then ungroup it. :-(

Is there a keyboard shortcut that I'm missing that ungroups multiple-selected groups?

cmd-shift-U should do it (runs Arrange->Ungroup)

--blushing--

I guess I should have looked in the menus for that! Odd that the toolbar button doesn't do the exact same thing.

Thanks much!

How would the toolbar button know if you wanted to group or ungroup?

There is an option for a toolbar icon that toggles between group and ungroup, in addition to the separate icons for each. (I've attached a screen capture.)

A quick test reveals that the individual "Group" and "Ungroup" toolbar icons know when multiple groups are selected, but the "Group/Ungroup" icon does not.

I don't include the individual "Group" and "Ungroup" icons in my toolbar and only include the single "Group/Ungroup" icon, which was the cause of my confusion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	group.png
Views:	1088
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	1710  

Right, my point was that the combined group/ungroup button in the default toolbar set has no way of reliably determining in all cases whether you intend to ungroup those grouped items you have selected, or group them together. I have two objects in my selection, and both of them are grouped objects. If I click the button, did I want to group the two groups together into one supergroup, or peel away a layer of grouping? I suspect they decided that it was the most common use case that one would be repeatedly grouping to build up complicated objects, and if you needed the less usual case (ungrouping multiple selected objects), the menu or keyboard shortcut would do the trick.

Ah, I see what you mean. That certainly makes sense. Obviously, I was misinterpreting that toolbar icon. Thanks for clearing things up!