The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Why I choose OmniWeb Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am choosing OmniWeb, because one of my dream features of an OS X browser is to emulate the IE environment, sorta like a emulator for an OS. And when I discovered OmniWeb has it, I was like -- wow! And now that OmniWeb is free, there is no reason not to use it.

Why do you guys use OmniWeb?

All it does is change the user agent string -- one line of text it sends to the web server. It doesn't "emulate," for example, the rendering engine of IE.

I use OmniWeb because it is the most Mac-like browser out there. It has quite much possibilities to be configured (much more than safari).
But the most important feature at the moment for me are the vertical tabs.

Also OmniWeb has a great history in being the first Mac OS X browser, coming from the "NeXTStep-side" of OS X.

Another great thing about OmniWeb is, that the developers always have an open ear for suggestions from users. It's easy to get help with technical problems, bugs, etc.

I started using OmniWeb when i switched from Mac OS 9 to OS X (10.1 with OmniWeb 4.0.6).

I use OmniWeb because it's awesome!

SC

I use OmniWeb because the handiness of the feature set is suddenly revealed whenever I try anything else. Seems like you need extra plug-ins or extensions to get those other browsers up to the same level, and once I do that I still miss OmniWeb, so it has been for many years.

I mainly use Omniweb because I like the tab features, the individual ad blocking options for each bookmark, bookmark syncing options, and the speed.

I switched (perhaps permanently) from Safari after losing all my open windows due to a kernel panic. And if you've opened Safari even once and failed to "reopen all past windows" before a shutdown, you're screwed.

Why can't Safari automatically open all windows like Mail does? This is what made me seek out Omniweb. (And I also love the drawer and ability to set different workspaces.)

I find it mildly liberating (though you wouldn't know it from my language when it happens) to have Safari do that forced housecleaning for me now and then. I do love the workspace feature in OmniWeb that saves me from that experience, but it also makes me wish that OmniWeb performed a little better with literally hundreds of tabs open, as they seem to multiply like rabbits :-)