The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Are educational licenses different? [A: Same app, same features, lower price. :-) ] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I was wondering if there are any limitations of the educational version of OmniGraffle Pro as compared with the Non Educational version?

I am a postgrad student and would prefer to get the Ed version if it has all the same features as the non ed. version.

I would be grateful if anyone could give me some advice (Thanks).

I believe the only difference is whether having the extra money in your wallet causes you to sit at an angle and make all of your diagrams slightly off level :-)

For official confirmation, send an email to OmniGraffle@omnigroup.com or sales@omnigroup.com, but I would be very surprised to hear that there is any functional difference. There is no disclosure of such differences in the documentation in the program or on the website (unlike Pro vs. regular) and one would expect a demo to accurately reflect the product being purchased, but there is no educational demo of either program. Also, and perhaps most relevant, the Omni Group isn't a bunch of chiseling scoundrels only interested in vacuuming up every last nickel of marginal revenue by any customer-unfriendly scheme imaginable!

I offer the following advice: buy directly from Omni, not the Mac App Store, and have a look at their other offerings and see if there's anything else that you might want. Buying multiple products simultaneously gets you an increasing discount for each additional product (at least for non-educational buyers), and getting the software from Omni puts all of the money in their pocket and gets you easier access to new versions, discounted major upgrades, etc. There is a built-in software updater and the licensing terms are generous which weakens some of the main reasons for buying through th Mac App Store in my opinion.

Just to confirm: the only difference is the price. :-)