The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Doh! I finally worked out why an annoying WS bug happens over a year and a half later Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just sent in a report about this to OmniGroup. Looking back at my e-mails to them, the first time I reported it was way back in October of 2004 and I have been suffering from this issue ever since. Now I know how it happens, I am experiencing a "WTF, why didn't you think of that sooner?" moment. Anyway, the problem:

On first launch of OmniWeb, 90% of the time, when I first selected any menu in the menubar (and that would typically be the Workspace menu), the Workspace that was loaded at launch would reload and my Workspaces menu would be devoid of any Workspaces. Subsequent menu bar selections would be fine and the Workspaces would show up. The problem was that this didn't happen every time and I just could not work out why (until now). Nuking prefs, etc would help for a while but then it would start again. As I never saw anyone else report this, I assumed it was some voodoo due to whatever particular combination of software and third party menu bar items I had installed on my system was the cause of the issue.

Largely because of this problem I started from scratch with OmniWeb 5.5 and initially it looked like it was solved... but then it started again.

I have finally twigged onto why (god, I feel so stupid for not realising this sooner)... I don't know if anyone else followed my tip from way, way back when of putting their Workspaces folder in the Dock and using it to pick whatever Workspace you wanted loaded on launch:

Well if you did, I'd be mightly interested to know if you suffer the same problem as above, because, in a nutshell, that is the source of the problem. If I pick a Workspace from this docked folder to launch OmniWeb then when I click the menubar... reload and blank list of Workspaces. If I just launch OmniWeb using its Dock icon, i t d o e s n ' t h a p p e n. That bloody simple. :eek:

Should anyone like to test this for me to see if it happens to them too, I'd appreciate it.